animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

With Katzenberg, DreamWorks, Cal State & History

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

With Katzenberg, DreamWorks, Cal State & History

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:41 pm

I had one very very memorable day today, and I'm looking forward to sharing the experience.

I am a fortunate person, as I had the great privilege and honor of being a part of history.

I was a delegate representing one of four universities of the California State University system, which consists of 24 universities. Each of the four universities in this group had four representatives. The sixteen of us met at the DreamWorks campus for a meeting that lasted from early in the morning until the end of the day.

I was also there, representing my own school, The Animation Academy in Burbank.

It was a major, very high profile meeting, that included the presidents of each university, plus the chancellor of California State University, and Jeffrey Katzenberg himself. It also involved the head of character animation at DreamWorks and also the head of visual development and production design, plus key administrative and production personnel.

At the end if the day, we hammered out a basic outline for a three year plan, which will be an educational partnership between DreamWorks and California State University.

It is historic, as CSU and DreamWorks will be developing and funding a partnership between the private sector and the public school system at the university level, to further the educational opportunities for animation. It's historic because it's the first time that the private sector will be funding an educational program of this kind in animation through a public university system.

I recorded much it with photos and some video. Also, the official photographer for the day's meetings will be sending me shots that he took.

I'll be featuring this exclusively on AN.

Will follow up soon with images from this great day, July 22, 2001 at DreamWorks.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: With Katzenberg, DreamWorks, Cal State & History

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:10 am

The day started very early. I was on the campus by 9:00 am. After a nice continental breakfast we got down to business.

Once the morning part of the meeting had completed, the big wigs from cal State University came by, along with Jeffrey Katzenberg and the official photographer for this monumental day.

I was standing only a few feet away from Jeffery, and while the photographer was shootiong away, I kept asking myself if I should take some photos too. I felt it was inappropriate on my part, so I refrained and simply got into the moment.

Afterwards, when Jeffery left, we took time out for lunch. I was outside in the open dining area, wondering if I had made a mistake. Katzenberg was right there. I was next to him. Surely he wouldn't have minded if I took a photo. Why didn't I do it? I was very disappointed in myself. When will I ever be at DreamWorks again for an occasion like this in the company of this man, the head of the studio?

Well, as I sat there in my personal dismay, I thought I'd start taking some shots anyway, so I started with this picture of some of the participants in the meeting getting something to eat. This is from the perspective of where I was seated for lunch. DreamWorks always feeds their guests and their employees.

Clicking on the photo will give you a better view.

DreamWorksJuly22_11b1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:25 am

As I sat there upset at not taking the initiative to photograph Jeffrey at the meeting, I said something like "God, I wish I could get another chance." A few minutes after I muttered this little prayer, you guessed it...

I saw Katzenberg go by to my left! He was walking briskly with someone, going over some business I'm sure.

This time I didn't hesitate. I got right up, turned on my modest camera, and took this photo. That's Jeffrey Katzenberg on the left.

DreamWorksJuly22_11c1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 12:36 am

I zoomed in to get a closer shot as he neared the end of the corridor. Jeffrey's to the left.

DreamWorksJuly22_11d1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:57 am

When they walked through the corridor and made the turn...

DreamWorksJuly22_11e1.jpg

... the fellow that Jeffrey was talking to went to the right towards the parking complex and he headed left towards the main entrance to the studio.

DreamWorksJuly22_11f1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:06 am

I'm quite proud of these two shots. After I took them I realized they were very unique.

This is Jeffrey Katzenberg walking towards the Campanile Theater, which is the main entrance to the studio complex.

DreamWorksJuly22_11g1.jpg

Here's the last photo I was able to take of Jeffrey as he entered the building.

DreamWorksJuly22_11h1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:37 pm

Wow Charles! That is big news!

Congrats!
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:35 am

Thank you Greg.

I had enough resolution on these last two photos to zoom in for a closer composition. Clicking on them gives you a better view.

DreamWorksJuly22_11g2.jpg

DreamWorksJuly22_11h2.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:58 am

Here are some of the faces that made up the landmark meeting between Cal State University and DreamWorks.

The fellow on the center is Rex Grignon, Head of Character Animation at DreamWorks. He's flanked to the right by Alice Carter, Professor of Animation and Illustration at Cal State San Jose. To the left is Dr. Edward Harris, Chair of the School of Music, Dance, Illustration and Animation at Cal State San Jose.

DreamWorksJuly22_11k1.jpg

This is Jim Conrads, Outreach Supervisor at DreamWorks.

DreamWorksJuly22_11j2.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:33 pm

During the afternoon break, I had a chance to catch a few shots of some of the group of educators and DreamWorks personnel involved in the meeting.

DreamWorksJuly22_11l1.jpg

DreamWorksJuly22_11m1.jpg

DreamWorksJuly22_11n1.jpg

DreamWorksJuly22_11o1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:23 pm

I've been meaning to get to this topic and finish it up now for more than three months. Got some time so let's get to it.

After the conference was over, late in the afternoon, we got together for refreshments on the party grounds of the DreamWorks campus. It's down these steps, where the pond area is.

DreamWorksJuly22_11q1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:06 pm

Here's a panoramic shot of some of the educators and studio personnel who participated in the DreamWorks / California State University Conference on July 22 of this year. There's some very distinguished individuals in this group.

As with all pictures on the forums, just give it a click to see it full size.

DreamWorksJuly22_11r1.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:33 pm

And we wound up the day enjoying this charming and unique view at DreamWorks that we were all fortunate to enjoy.

DreamWorksJuly22_11s1.jpg

The hospitality of the studio was of course, as gracious as it gets and that goes without saying.

There's another series of photos I took, with their permission, of something so confidential, so secret and sacred, that if I were to publish them I would lose the studio's trust. So for now, they'll remain a mystery.

Very beneficial things will happen as a result of the conference.

Thank you DreamWorks, and thank you Cal State Northridge for inviting me to be a part of it.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby hoofprints » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:27 pm

Since I've been taking a couple of classes at CSUN I was able to go to a Dreamworks Critique Tuesday night where they gave us a lecture on Visual Development. It was really good. A number of us sumbitted development pieces and the one that was selected will be able to have their work critiqued on the 18th.
hoofprints

Postby Sikanda » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 pm

This is really awesome news! Thank you for sharing all this. I had no idea this was happening but it's such a nice surprise even if I am graduated ;)
Sikanda

Return to General Discussion