animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Can artists use Marvel's IP for Kickstarter Success?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Can artists use Marvel's IP for Kickstarter Success?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri May 10, 2013 2:33 pm

"Earth's Mightiest Tribute Print Pack!" is a successful campaign I came across. I was amazed that a dude asking $400 got 20k... Now I'm one to say, a paid artist is a good artist, and I'm not gonna hate on someone elses style of getting paid...but this seems wrong. I'm no Marvel lover and theres a part of me that says, good for him....but if this is how the playing field is being established I wonder...what if Marvel did it to us?

I'd like to get your feedback on all this. I think fair is fair and this doesn't seem fair. This seems like this dude is banking on other people's IP, is marketing it and distributing ....and banking. Big time. Doesn't copyright come into play. If not, why?

I feel if this becomes common practice it could happen to anyone of us.

What say ye?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ske ... k?ref=live
SNAKEBITE

Re: Can artists use Marvel's IP for Kickstarter Success?

Postby Charles » Fri May 10, 2013 5:09 pm

Maybe this would fall under Fair Use. Maybe not. Whatever the situation he's raised $19,538 with 14
days to go. Plenty of time to add to the total.

A few months ago there was a fellow from Chicago who sold a poster through Kickstarter featuring all the Acme devices that the WB's Looney Tunes Coyote used to try and capture the Road Runner. He wound up with over $100,000.

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Can artists use Marvel's IP for Kickstarter Success?

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri May 10, 2013 11:29 pm

I remember that one too. I didn't have so much a problem with that because props aren't featured IP...these are characters...

like I said, I'm torn. I'm all about artists getting paid, but this does seem like a blurry line.
SNAKEBITE

Return to General Discussion