animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Rango, ILM's first animated feature

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Rango, ILM's first animated feature

Postby Will Ryan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Directed by Gore Verbinski and reteaming with Johnny Depp after the crazy cash grab of the Pirates trilogy, here's a good first look at Rango. I'm actually digging the look of the world and characters: has a surreal off-kilter feel that along with the subtle Fear & Loathing tip of the hat promises for something very different than the average talking animal feature we're used to.

It's also a fairly important film for the VFX industry as it's success will be the first indicator that Hollywood VFX shops may be able to break away from the "race to the bottom" indentured servitude to the studios they find themselves in now. Along with Animal Logic and Rhythym & Hues, it's an important time for these original IPs and production partnerships to rock at the box office. It's really the last chance for these shops to go from their current reality as high-end Kinko's shops for studios and directors and into the land of Pixar or Dreamworks.

The amount of tech, artistry and storytelling talent laying untapped in these places is amazing, and I hope they get the chance to tell their stories every once in awhile as well. And maybe take control of their collective future once again in the process.
Will Ryan

Re: Rango, ILM's first animated feature

Postby SNAKEBITE » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:14 pm

Very interesting indeed. It looks like fun. And your right there is no reason this visual FX guys can't compete. They have been doing 3D animation for a long time and it makes sense to adapt it into the animation world...maybe then we might find more sophisticated stories that aren't built around children or just fart and poopoo jokes.

I totally support this film just because of what you point out!
SNAKEBITE

Postby skynet » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:30 pm

I was wondering about this one. Good info Will, thanks...

Before I could only find the short trailer that didn't show much of anything. I was going to post the trailer but it was kind of boring. This clip shows a lot more though. Interesting...
skynet

Postby iwincar » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:09 am

I breaking into the space of Pixar and dreamworks with Rango seems interesting, the look is realstic and creatures with clothes fusioned together, I think first time I have seen lizzards and chameleons in animation movie, how many people take it is an interesting thing to watch, but the promo looks funny and you are with the guy Rango though he is ugly.[color=#FFBF40][/color]
iwincar

Postby Charles » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:17 pm

"The Missing Lynx" had a chameleon as a major character in the film.

Here's video in Spanish on the making of Missing Lynx with several scenes from the movie.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby -Evan- » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:20 am

And the most shocking thing of all is, I don't hate this. And, if you know me just a little bit, you know I hate everything.

I may actually go see this.
-Evan-

Postby Glen Moyes » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:55 pm

I wish ILM luck. Those guys have been trying very hard to do this movie right, seeing as how they often don't get to work on very good films. Hopefully this will work out for them.
Glen Moyes

Postby EAllen » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:11 pm

Hopefuly, Variety's David Cohen will have something more positive to write, now that the VFX houses are hijacking pieces of the industry from the studios that made them borderline indentured servants for so long!
EAllen

Postby Charles » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:15 pm

The "Rango" trailer embedded earlier is no longer up.

Here's another one.

Movie opens March 4, 2011.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:52 am

Another trailer for Rango. This explains the story better and we get a good look at the many characters in the movie.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:39 pm

Rango should do well.

Here's something from Animation Magazine.

Director Gore Verbinski and ILM vfx supervisor Hal Hickel discuss the making of Rango, a highly original, visually arresting animated feature about a chameleon with an identity crisis.

Article

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion