AnimationNation Forum

AnimationNation

my profile login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» AnimationNation   » General Discussion   » Avatar: I told you that this movie will be great!!! (Page 1)

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Avatar: I told you that this movie will be great!!!
GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 3 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey everyone at AN its‘s been a little while since I logged in but I had to write about my new favorite movie of all time AVATAR!!! This movie was thrilling, epic, Exciting, Funny, umm…Actiony lol. What really made this movie stand out the most were the animals in the movie. There was about a good 15 different species shown within this movie and all of them had some sort of similarity with the animals on our earth. I found my favorite animal being this sort of lizard that spins and lights up when it glides through the air. I can talk about all the animals the whole time I am typing this but I do not want to spoil this for the people who haven’t seen this movie.
Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldaña, Michelle Rodriguez, Sigourney Weaver, and Stephen Lang; their acting was (how do I say) top-of the line within this movie. Zoe Saldaña is a really great actor when it comes to playing a Na’vi and she really stands out when she shows her emotions as it; Stephen Lang as “MR. Commando man,” was very thrilling, he shows how the saying “till death do us part,” step in towards this movie .
Now the last and final this I will talk about (SPOILERS!!!) was the type of sci-fi elements. If you are a huge tech geek, or a technological fan (or nerd whichever way you choose), you will like how the Na’vi bond and connect. They have their own networking system that connects with the animals, plants, and each other Na’vi. All they do is connect their hair that has some sort of tentacles and it will”bond,” with the thing; it is like nature on a networking system of some sort. I am not going to go into all detail as I do not want to ruin the movie for you; but if you get the chance to see this great movie please do it!

p.s. AVATAR IS MY FAVORITE MOVIE EVER!!! ^_^

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

IP: Logged
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

There's nothing I can say about this film that hasn't already been said by countless media outlets, online or off.

Cinema will never be the same again.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
that gives me hope cuz I was really loving the commercials.

I'm gonna go see it now!!!for sure!

--------------------
contact@animationnation.com
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com
www.myspace.com/redskystudio

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
The only bad stuff I heard is... the "plot is weak", "dialogue is flat" and the "characterization is obvious" but I think I'm still going to try to see it if I get a chance. I can't say for myself what I think yet. The visuals alone seem to be so incredible though.

--------------------
skynet[at]animationnation.com
http://www.alivenotdead.com/slipperysky
http://www.slipperysky.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mr. Fun           Edit/Delete Post 
Now if we could just get James Cameron to come yell at you while you're standing in line.
SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SNAKEBITE   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
He likes to yell?

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Skynet   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really like to see him yell at people standing in line. That would be so hilarious.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Icon 1 posted      Profile for E. Allen   Email E. Allen         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone should be standing by with a handheld camcorder just in case things get out of hand. That would be some YouTube Gold right there!
Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
At first I wasn't thrilled about this movie but when I saw the trailer at the movies I saw the high definition clarity and was blown away.

That alone makes me want to see the movie other than the fact Sigourney Weaver is in it.

Sigourney Weaver in 3D! That's all you had to say to a homie!

--------------------
http://www.boonestoons.com
http://www.spacefool.com

Animagus
IE # 49
Member # 279

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Animagus   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an article about Cameron's "greatest tantrums".
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/the_big_picture/2009/12/james-camerons-greatest-tantrums-p art-one.html
Maybe it's a good thing that he did NOT direct that latest "Terminator", as you would have then had both him AND Christian Bale on the same set. "Avatar" is on my list, certainly to see one of those IMAX 3D versions. I will steer clear of the "spoilers" and wait a few weeks.

--------------------
www.robertgold.blogspot.com

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
Heuly everyone sorry the bad typing im texting from my hero. But i wanted to say that. If you go see the avatar 3D then becareful because there hve been a lot of sicknesses due Tothe awsomness affects lol

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

siskavard
Member # 3175

Icon 1 posted      Profile for siskavard   Author's Homepage   Email siskavard         Edit/Delete Post 
Gorgeous visuals, no uncanny valley here. Unfortunately the story & characters are generic.

I still enjoyed it immensely~

Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

On Na'vi Biology

James Cameron's Avatar, which premieres on Friday, is already legendary for its meticulous attention to detail. Witness, for example, the hubbub over the invented alien language, which Cameron boasts will "out-Klingon Klingon." Or the fact that he gave every plant and animal on the planet Na'vi, Latin, and common names, all catalogued in a 350-page "Pandorapedia."

Cameron seems to have been a little more lax in the biology department—at least when it comes to imagining Pandora's reigning creature, the Na'vi. Take those already infamous alien boobs: He gleefully told Playboy, "Right from the beginning I said, ‘She's got to have tits,' even though that makes no sense because her race, the Na'vi, aren't placental mammals."

One hundred percent plausibility isn't required from any fantasy creature, of course. And if audiences grok those tall blue cat-people, then biological quibbles will be moot. But Cameron's admission got the science nerd in me curious about the finer points of Na'vi anatomy—so I called up Stuart Sumida, a biologist at Cal State San Bernadino who moonlights as an anatomy consultant for FX studios. (He helped work out how the mythical creatures of The Chronicles of Narnia should look and move.) I asked him to watch the Avatar trailer and pre-release clips and to offer an initial assessment of the Na'vi.

Sumida notes that the trickiest part of making a creature using motion-capture technology is that its movements remain essentially human. ("It's still basically a guy in a suit.") But with their long limbs, heavy tail, and opposable big toes, the Na'vi should move more like gibbons than bipedal humans. And all that upright scampering across tree branches seems wrong, too, given how heavy a 10-foot-tall creature must be—even one with superlight bones.

Many of the choices that have obvious rationales from a storytelling perspective make for weird anatomy. Take those big, exotic eyes, which make the Na'vi look so cute and sympathetic. "Gigantic eyeballs are usually for creatures that forage exclusively at night," Sumida says. "These characters should be wearing sunglasses—they get so much light, their eyes will hurt."

And those expressive tails. Tails are an extension of the backbone, emerging downwards from the sacrum, where the hips attach. Na'vi tails, however, seem to emerge from above the sacrum, and they stick out at a nearly right angle. Sumida also takes exception to the Pandorapedia's claims that those tails are prehensile—that is, used for grasping things—and help the Na'vi balance their long torso and legs. If that were the case, the Na'vi would probably be walking on all fours, with their backs parallel to the ground.

Finally, about those boobs: It's good that they're purely decorative. Since the Na'vi seem to have zero fat on their bodies, those mammary glands almost certainly don't work. Relatedly, the fact that the Na'vi aren't placental mammals makes the presence of bellybuttons something of a curiosity.

However, the glittery blue skin that's earned the Na'vi unflattering comparisons to the Smurfs—and which seems to be the outgrowth of a rather awkward racial metaphor—doesn't bother Sumida. "Bioluminescence seems like a valid evolutionary strategy," he says. "I think it's one of the coolest things they've come up with."

Finally, an Easter egg for eagle-eyed viewers: If you look closely, you'll see that the Na'vi have a little muscle running down their necks. We've got them, too—it's called the sternocleidomastoid muscle—and it's a uniquely mammalian feature. Ours make a very distinctive V-shape, and when creature designers want an alien to seem attractive and familiar to its human viewers, they often slap one on. 'Even C3PO has it, in the form of little pistons on his neck. Watch Star Trek: The good guys always have them, and the bad guys don't. It's a classic alien designer trick.'

http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2009/12/16/on-na-vi-biology.aspx

--------------------

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

It's always good to see Sigourney Weaver back in a James Cameron movie. She truly fits a film like this one, and she was my favorite character.

Of course, the helicopter pilot was pretty darn cute, and she could kick butt as well.

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Agreed, agreed, and agreed!
GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
That was the most beautiful movie i've ever seen. Very anti-America messages tho'

It's obvious that the Na'vi hate us for our freedom.

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GWAStudios   Author's Homepage   Email GWAStudios         Edit/Delete Post 
@GaryClair they hate us for our freedom??? I believe you may be wrong on that. They hated us for our greed.

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GaryClair   Email GaryClair         Edit/Delete Post 
There's a difference?

That movie was total liberal propaganda. If a company can afford to build spaceships, mining ships and afford lobbyists to have politicians let them us our military, they should be able to fly to any planet in the universe they want and strip away it's natural resources and exterminate any locals that get in the way.
That's the American way.

We don't need no stinking hippie intellectuals with all their books and moral fancy talking making movies vilifying these corporate tycoons.

[Big Grin]

..messages aside, great movie.

GWAStudios
Member # 3625

@GaryClair
Uhh? I was getting you all the way until you got to the part when you talk about the money to afford. When you have the money to afford anything you have the power; but obviously they didn’t have the power to try and take this from the na’vi and so that really couldn’t be counted as hatred towards American for their freedom. Most of our goods that we obtain are through trade. Whether it is by currency, another form of good, ECT; so what the hell do you mean the American way? The American Army only fights when it becomes our problem really.
p.s. And who are you calling a stinking hippie? I’m certainly not a hippy and your moral need to get fixed Ha!
But yeah don’t text on my Avatar topic if you believe something like that.
It was a great movie

--------------------
www.GWAGames.com

GaryClair
Member # 3164

America is all about free trade. Give it to us for free or we'll shoot you.
Admin1
Administrator
Member # 3543

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Admin1   Email Admin1         Edit/Delete Post 
I was given heads up about a possible showdown at the not so O.K. corral.

So far everyone looks like their not making personal attacks. I didn't read Gary Clair's hippie comment as directed towards anyone here. I took it as sarcasm. But maybe Gary can be more clear as to whom he is talking to when making such statements.

Other than that any member has the right to comment on any subject said member's membership allows them access to. As long as that member doesn't make it a relentless personal attack. Jabs are fine, we're all big boys and girls, just don't let it get out of control.

I like diversity and would like for AN to continue to be a good example on how we can all be diverse and respectful.

Great topic, BTW. It has many layers, although I have yet to see the movie but soon will ...especially after reading ALL of the responses.

GaryClair
Member # 3164

I loved the movie. The most beautiful thing ever put on film IMO. It's really the closest thing to being Star Wars since Star Wars.
I hope nothing but success for this movie.. which I'm positive it'll be the #1 money making movie of all time.

I was just pointing out that I see a lot of ourselves (America) in the enemy of the movie. Capitalism lends itself very easily to evil. [Big Grin]

GaryClair
Member # 3164

And what I meant about Star Wars.. where Star Wars raised the bar in ground breaking film making 32 years ago..
Avatar raised the bar a couple pegs above that.

There really hasn't been anything like this movie. Especially in 3d.
If you miss this movie in the theaters, you're really missing out.

SNAKEBITE
IE # 101
Member # 17

I'm going this weekend. 3D glasses never worked on me, although its been years since I've tried it...well, it worked before, it was just annoying. didn't like it.

how is the experience today?

--------------------
www.artbysnakebite.com
www.myspace.com/mrbite
www.redskystudio.com

Mr. Fun
IE # 63
Member # 352

Much, much better today. And, I'm a guy who wears glasses under the 3D glasses. Just call me "Old Six Eyes."
E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Six eyes? Damn, that would just about make you an octopus, Mr. Fun!

Or a character out of Futurama. Oh, wait . . .

JDC
IE # 116
Member # 1993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JDC   Author's Homepage   Email JDC         Edit/Delete Post 
I really enjoyed Avatar. I agree with Gary that is has some of the most beautiful imagery to ever be put on film. Sad thing is, I don't really have a desire to see Avatar again (theatrically). I was finding myself getting bored at times mainly because the story was predictable. I love watching robots, dinosaurs, mecha, aliens, etc.. but I don't think I ever got on the edge of my seat wondering what the characters were gonna do next. The movie is definitely worth the price of admission just for all the pretty stuff to look at, I just didn't feel the story.

--------------------
Http://bluemonstereyes.blogspot.com

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greg B   Author's Homepage   Email Greg B         Edit/Delete Post 
I will be hated but this movie was a near miss.

Technically it's a milestone but story, direction, integrity-wise it fell off stool, hit the spittoon, and bumped into the dog that was lookin' for the man that shot his paw.

How can you spend half a billion dollars on something with a predictable story, lame dialogue, bad cartoon acting?

I saw it in 3D IMAX and the audience was packed to the rafters. I spent over 2 hours in a high tech theater filled with people watching the most high tech movie ever made and for two hours there were 3 moderate laughs and a chortle. Only me and a cute brunette who sat down next to me were the only people applauding during the credits because we saw people's names in the credits we knew.

There are some performances that just stand out like of course Sigourney Weaver and of course Zoe Saldana. Whoever did the effects on her character should get an Oscar. Of all the aliens, her character stood out and looked and acted real.

The story and dialogue and direction just didn't get it.

Great special effects.

--------------------

E. Allen
IE # 301
Member # 3297

Again, I can't knock Avatar's story too hard. It was an either/or situation with me. Either the story was gonna be crap and the effects were gonna be good, or the VFX was gonna suck and the story was gonna wow.

The VFX wowed but the story plowed. And even the story didn't plow by much.

Not as much as Transformers 2, certainly not as much as G.I. Joe, the live-action one.

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

E. Allen, the only thing that saved this movie was the charm and character of the actors. Even when they were in CG makeup they still shone through. It's really amazing.

Some folks don't like Giovanni Ribisi's acting but I've always enjoyed his performances.

Sigourney Weaver is a given to give her best and seeing her in 3D on IMAX was worth the money. The actors did a fine job even if half of them live in my neighborhood. I kept getting the feeling that they all got together for a party and didn't tell the rest of us.

The movie again is a technical marvel but the story and storytelling were more effect than cause.

--------------------

GaryClair
Member # 3164

At 17 days, Avatar makes over $1 Billion dollars worldwide. [Big Grin]
GaryClair
Member # 3164

source: http://www.hitfix.com/articles/2010-1-3-box-office-avatar-stuns-hollywood-with-1-billion-w orldwide-in-17-days
Skynet
Administrator
Member # 3539

Crazy. A good example of how FX can win over the story. It seems almost every person who's seen it says the same thing. The FX are mind blowing and story/script is second rate. I can't count how many times I've heard that. I'm wondering how mind blowing Avatar will feel at home on a TV. Looks like I'm going to miss it because my interest has faded. FX don't reach out to me as much as a story does. I'll catch it on DVD I guess. If all I'm missing are incredible FX, I feel like it's not that much in the long run. Some people say it's like an amusement park ride as in it's fun for the ride and that's about it.

--------------------

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Skynet, gimmick and hype moved this movie to the top. It's making money hand over fist and in these hard times that says alot.

People are willing to shell out the cash to see it multiple times which I'm sure Cameron and his marketing people planned on.

Had the Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter franchise done the same who knows what the box office champ would be.

It's like the 1950's all over again with 3D bringing in the box office money.

--------------------

GaryClair
Member # 3164

Blows my mind people will wait for this on video.. not only was the CG pushed further.. and Cameron's team took CGI to the next level.. but RealD the company that did the stereoscopic really pushed 3d to the next level as well.
It really is worth going just to see the bar being raised on these technical fronts.

I think people who have problem with the story would find some other reason to not like it just because so many other people enjoy it. If they took the script to "There Will Be Blood" or "No Country For Old Men" and replaced the actors with blue aliens.. they'd bitch about it.

It's a solid story. Amazing visuals.. it's not the Godfather.. but since the Godfather came out.. what has??

Charles
Administrator
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Charles           Edit/Delete Post 
Another article about Avatar's runaway success. This in from an AN fan in Canada with a request to share with the community.

Avatar smashes $1bn box office speed record

Analysts say Avatar may threaten Titanic as the biggest movie ever

Avatar has become the fastest movie ever to achieve $1bn (£625.6m) in ticket sales around the world.

Distributors 20th Century Fox say it has earned more than $350m (£217m) in the US and more than $670m (415m) in the rest of the world in only 17 days.

The 3D science fiction blockbuster was directed by James Cameron, who also made Titanic, the best selling movie of all time.

The latest figures make Avatar already the fourth-biggest film ever made.

Ahead of it are Titanic ($1.8bn; £1.1bn), The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King ($1.12bn; £695m) and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest ($1.07bn; £664m).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8438824.stm

--------------------
 -

Greg B
IE # 118
Member # 886

Charles, no doubt it will challenge and maybe surpass Titanic.

Like I mentioned earlier, people are going back multiple times to see it and paying high ticket prices at that.

Seeing it in IMAX 3D is a real theme park type of experience so even I might go back for seconds but only in IMAX. You get to see the action so huge.

If they're able to come up with a 3D DVD experience that will be even more money and might break the box office haul.

--------------------

Paburrows
Member # 3300

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Paburrows   Email Paburrows         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that the characters, storytelling and creature design was awesome, awsome, awesome. The messages left me cold though, a little heavy handed and the villian was over the top and unrealistic. I was actually chearing near the end when any of the big blue smurfs got killed.

--------------------
http://paulburrows.blogspot.com/

Bruce
IE # 1
Member # 36

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Bruce   Author's Homepage   Email Bruce         Edit/Delete Post 
Story-wise, plotpoint for plotpoint, this movie is essentially "Fern Gully in Outer Space". I wish there had been a few surprises along the way, but it was sort of amusing to spot the lifts from the Kroyers' 1992 Australian rainforest feature.

Nonetheless, see it in 3D in a theater - DO NOT WAIT FOR THE VIDEO! I agree with many other people posting here: this is an absolutely stunningly gorgeous piece of filmmaking and it deserves to be seen in 3D on the big screen, in IMAX if you can afford it.

eBee
Member # 3368

Icon 1 posted      Profile for eBee   Email eBee         Edit/Delete Post 
Just an opinion...

I allowed myself to be suckered into losing $18.00 canadian for the much hyped 3D IMAX experience. It was more akin to staring into a Mattel View-Master with a perpetual application of Gaussian Blur; perhaps I need to schedule a visit optometrist. I didn’t find the 3D enhancing my experience of the film all that much.

The story was predictable, and horribly average. The VFX and eye candy gorgeous. The CGI characters were completely believable but the villain belongs in a He-man episode.

Cameron is a terrific director/storyteller and he got all the technology (CGI) bits right, but something got lost somewhere for me. I found myself more interested watching the pretty stuff on screen than following what was happening to the characters and when the film was over, it was …over… no afterglow.

It’s definitely a big screen event…but not necessarily IMAX in my opinion.

P.S. anyone notice none of the fauna has fur…I’m wondering if that was an intentional design decision as I feel it really helped to make the creatures more convincing…
…and what was with the Jamaican mother?

This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Animation Nation

Animation Nation © 1999-2012