Re: In general

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Cigarettes on March 23, 1999 at 17:35:06:

In Reply to: In general posted by Steve Gordon on March 20, 1999 at 11:47:13:

: The one thing I feel is necessary to let all know who have never been in a position of authority is that it doesn't matter how hard you try to do the right for the artists under you there will always be those who, at projects end, despise you. It's my feeling is that the type of person that moves into this industry as an artist tends to be someone who already has a problem with authority of any type.

An interesting and true point. Executives as a whole these days are
shits, but they have more experience in being diplomats than most artists
will give them credit for. Many artists do NOT have the social skills to organize
a project completely on their own. Not a slam against artists, just a simple fact.
I have immense respect for any artist that can put together an independent project and
not have the people who are helping them complete their vision not despise them in the end.

As for the studios...the other trend going on is hiring on a freelance or temp basis only.
Saban and Nickelodeon are doing this to extremes. Sony(union studio MY ASS) has been getting
away with forcing its artists to sign an agreement saying that they're willing to work OT without
being paid OT. THAT'S AGAINST UNION RULES, DAMMIT!!! DON'T COP OUT TO IT!!!!! Artists are being worked
at burn-out rates...don't let yourself become victim to injury because of inhumane schedules. CatDog at
Nickelodeon is having problems with board artists because 3-4 of them are out with injuries to their
drawing hands. DON'T LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU!!

I'm an unemployed artist myself...so I know the shit that's going down. The amount of "good" executives that
Dave Brewster talks about is far outweighed by the idiots who are helping destroy the fatted calf that is
animation. I know of very few artists who can maintain any creative presence outside of work because they're forced
to work like dogs at their day job.

It's true that artists are part of the problem...they'll sell each other out. If anything will change, it
will be because more artists will STOP going with the system of underscoring other artists.

Cigarettes

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]