An old trick

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on March 22, 1999 at 23:57:40:

In Reply to: scare tactics again posted by Tom B. on March 22, 1999 at 22:32:11:

Tom, the message that you posted brought to mind a professional experience I had years ago.

I once worked for a major greeting card company. As part of their routine, they had a yearly performance review that each artist was subjected to. It was company policy.

For a short while, I was being prepared to enter management. As part of my preparations, I was told certain things about how the company handled their artists. As part of the annual review, it was an unwritten rule of company policy to downgrade each artist a full level from what their review should have actually reflected about their job performance. In other words, an artist who did excellent was given a very good. A very good was given a good. A good was given an average, so on.

It is not unnusual for this kind of thing to happen in a corporate job performance appraisal, especially with a group as valuable to a company's production as artists are, whether it's in greeting cards or animation. It's another tactic of suppression. In the end, it really doesn't matter what they say as it is oftentimes not an accurate description and is purposely altered. The important thing is that you don't take their conclusions too seriously and don't let it adversely affect your confidence.

I wonder who judges the judges.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]