Unions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on August 27, 1999 at 08:59:39:

In Reply to: Re: Global Economy posted by Charles on August 26, 1999 at 20:01:05:

: You make a good point with your Third World comparison, one that's difficult to argue with, but if people don't organize and plan appropriately for a future scenario based on what's happening now, the gap between the so-called third, second and first worlds may eventually disappear. And not for the better.

Yes, my point is that the gap WILL close ... WE will see that as a bad thing, because it will mean maybe only one TV set or maybe driving a car until after it's paid off. In the mean time, Third World people may be able to begin storing food in a refrigerator. It will be GOOD, for them.

Which ultimately means Americans might have to learn to "make do" like the rest of the world has up until now. It MIGHT not happen in our lifetime, but it will.

: I don't subscribe to the doom and gloom mindset, but my realm of experince is what's happening in Los Angeles. The situation in Chicago, New York, Toronto, or Podunk Iowa may be the same or different, but I can only approach this issue based upon what I've seen going on around here for many years.

As you probably recognize, I'm a "doom-and-gloomer" from way back ... so anything you read from me should be filtered through that mindset.

: This very afternoon, an artist was talking to me about a Union vote coming up soon at a non-union studio he's been working at. Management is feeding the artists the same ol' worn out line. "Gee guys, we really can't afford to have you go Union. We'll have to eventually shut down or send the work to Canada in order to stay in business." All the while, they travel first class, stay at the finest hotels on business trips, spend whatever they have to spend on buying the finest furniture for their offices, and continue to suppress the professionals who make their extravagence possible. It's their blatant hypocrisy that is making even the most stalwart anti-unionists vote the other way.

See, as you know, I feel the same way: if our studio was to unionize (at least under the current union contract stipulations), WE would have to close down, too. I've gone over my reasons for this in previous postings, and I don't want to get into another sh*t-fight about it, but bear in mind that none of our execs are enjoying any particular benefits at all. ALL of our furniture sucks! Our managing director hasn't spent a DIME on airfare or hotels in three years. You'd laugh to see the car he drives: a dirty old '88 Chevy wagon. I own the place, and I know for a fact that almost ALL Los Angeles animators make more than I do. I drive a '92 Voyager. This is an animator-owned-and-operated studio. Mind you, we could not operate without administration and management, and I contend no studio could.

: This is unnaceptable. It's completely out of hand. The artists here in L.A. have every right to be upset and intolerant without apologizing to anyone for the way they feel. Global economy or not, these executives, this system, this mentality as far as animation is concerned has got to go.

I know whatcha mean. Execs are killing the industry. I'm just saying we ALL need to smarten up and help SHAPE a better future, rather than let the future HAPPEN to us.

:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]