Re: In general

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on March 22, 1999 at 21:25:29:

In Reply to: Re: In general posted by Steve Gordon on March 22, 1999 at 09:03:04:

: Hi Dave:

: I agree with most of the points that you make and even some that Charles makes.
: My concerns are that we not be blind to the fact that animators are not necessarily any more aware of what the public wants to see than are non-artist producers.

I think you will see that I said directors. Most often a producer will sit a director down and ask him to tell him all his ideas. Why would you ask him that ??????? A director is a master of story telling, a person who can control and understand how to frame a character (he understands) for the best drama and comedy film wise. The story isnít important other than the director is inspired by it enough to want to do it and in that sense they are the best judge. A director that isnít inspired shouldnít direct that film .

: I don't think projects that animators loved (ie: Thief and Cobbler and Cats Can't dance) were connected to the film goers pulse anymore than were Quest or King and I (course I could be wrong about King, but I doubt it).

Animators loved Cobbler for the animation ,not the story. Animators were in fear and awe of Cobblers animation. It had nothing to do with it being an animators pick for best story to do. Cats was just refreshing after heavy handed human animation. Neither I think would mjke it to an animators list as a choice of films we would like to see done. As I said, the final choice should be the film that inspires the director.

: We still have to remeber that regardless of whether animators are happy or not it's the public who decides which film is a hit. Even Disney can't force a hit (ie: Hercules) if the public doesn't like it.

The real question here Steve is not whether a film is a financial hit or not. Disney so often quotes their films as instant classics. You are totally correct that they canít force it but they can manipulate it. For example Armageddon. A film that most consider very weak yet swallowed huge boxoffice. The only thing a studio canít do is keep it huge. Only time and the public determines if a film becomes a real classic.

By the way, I really enjoyed Mulan. I think it will stay for a long time.

: And if the film isn't a hit that's it. Someone is going to blame someone and many non-artists take the hit along with the artists.

The only reason I agreed to work on POE (my contract was for ElDorado) is because the first day I got there Jeffery was talking to a bunch of us and quite honestly admitted that the three of them had NO idea if this film would do well. They even accepted it might totally flop. They just didnít know and felt it was a film they had to do. Just accepting that made it easy to work on. There was noď gotta be a megaď hit pressure at all.

: I am interested in hearing solutions. I haven't heard any yet and, frankly, I can't think of any.

The discussion needs to identify the problem in more detail before we could discuss a solution.

: Hell, I wish I could find a way to keep artists from stabbing each other in the back jsut so their position won't be threatened.
: This alone would be a miracle.

: Steve

Well, you know what I found.
1)I treat everyone the same (animator, cleanup, inbetweener, cleaning staff, security, pizza deliver people) and listen when I see someone in obvious pain. I donít run from them like they have the plague.
2) I have empathy for everyone and the only thing I donít tolerate is a lack of effort.
3)I believe failure is a natual part of learning and donít penalize people for mistakes.
4)I donít tear down others to make myself feel bigger.
5) Iím honest with them and expect the same from them. I donít try and keep them out of companies I go to (yes even the people that hate me) because I believe that it is not my right.
6) I forgive people who plot against people because I think it is something you need to pity them for. People are weak if that is how they have to function, not strong as they would like to think.
7) I can forgive .
8)If any producer is weak enough to allow these weak plotting people to prevail then it is a job I would rather not have.

As an animator, no one gives you your ability. You came with it. Politics donít rob you of it nor do people working behind your back nullify it. It is always there. You will be an animator here or you will be it where ever you go. No company owns that. No company can take it from you. The parking sticker is the most that they can get back.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]