Re: Cause & Effect

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on August 24, 1999 at 01:42:17:

In Reply to: Re: Cause & Effect posted by t.o.lowdown on August 23, 1999 at 21:05:17:

Sometimes it's a little difficult gauging the tenor of some messages. I misunderstood what you were getting at. It came off a little odd, that's all.

I don't wish the demise or the forced hardship of any studio. I appreciate the news about what's happening in your part of the animation universe. Thanks for sharing it with us. It helps with the big picture.

There's some heavy stuff going down in Hollywood. Part of it has to do with a lot of people around this part of the country having a tough time of it because of the people we work for sending jobs to places like... oh, let's see. Canada. And not just in animation. Nobody here wishes Canadian animation talent poorly. We respect you and work with Canadian nationals in L.A. all the time. I'm not really into making the Canadian thing a controversy, but it's a sensitive issue with alot of people down here who are trying to do little things like raise a family.

There's a rumbling in this town about runaway production, the success of "Blair Witch", the poor handling of "Iron Giant", the phenomenon of MP3, reported widespread Internet feature film piracy and more. An air of change and anticipation. My guess is this. As time goes on, the technolgy behind entertainment will continue to make the industry more user friendly for creative types who've been traditionally locked out of playing the game at its higher levels. Animation artists in Los Angeles are slowly becoming more powerful, much to the dismay of the powers that be, who threaten artists who want their non-union shops to go Union with sending their jobs to places like... oh, let's see. Canada.

More and more people are questioning the need for executive management as part of the modern animation budget. It's an evolutionary thing. Only natural after years of abusing a system set up on shipping work to other countries so non-creatives can justify their positions of priviledge while they control and disenfranchise the local artists.

Anyway, no hard feelings, neighbor. Sorry for the miscommunication and thanks for the lowdown. A word of encouragement - Disney ain't the only game. Canadiens are rugged and have a great animation tradition. You'll survive this.

Cheers.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]