Re: Cause & Effect

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by t.o.lowdown on August 23, 1999 at 21:05:17:

In Reply to: Cause & Effect posted by Charles on August 23, 1999 at 16:09:43:

: First of all, if Disney in Canada is a sinking ship, it's certainly not the fault of the artists down here. Disney's TV Animation management hasn't really done anything to keep that division going except to develop clones from Disney features, with a semi-original concept every now and then, and spend a lot of money on themselves by shipping production to you. Guess they ran out of ideas for duck cartoons. Their TV animation unit is being consolidated into the feature division as has already happened with their direct to video department.

: What you folks are going through is something that we've been routinely dealing with for years. Now you know what it's like.

: I find it difficult to understand how you can assess the influence of our movement down here when you are several thousand miles away from the center of this activity. Your trivialization of our efforts isn't a big deal as we're not out to prove anything to you. Animation Nation was set up for the animation artists in L.A. The rest of North America got involved, and that's fine with us. If you're not supportive, so what. We have our agenda and we're going forward with it whether you think we're actually being effective or not. It's happening. That's what matters.

Charles, I'm wondering where all this anger and hostility is coming from.

Nowhere did I ever say that the studio shutdown up here was due to something the L.A. artists did. In fact, the only blame I placed was on some nameless corporate beancounters somewhere. And you indirectly support this claim by saying that, yes, Disney is in a bind with their shareholders.

I personally never worked for the mouse, and the shutdown doesnt really effect me, except that I'm sorry to see the loss of what could have been the potential for quality work in the future. The only reason I brought it up was that it hadn't been mentioned on the board yet and I think it's a big enough deal whenever any major studio closes down a branch somewhere. Actually I can't recall Disney ever throwing in the towel in any other country. Disney Paris and Australia seem to be still going strong.

The jingoistic backlash I got as a response makes me think that you don't really see the animation community as a worldwide whole, as I previously thought, and instead are concerned only with your little corner of it. that's fine, as far as it goes, but it seems to me that you're not really helping the industry by lashing out at people in other parts of the country. Are you bitter about work being sent to New York, or Florida, or Boston as well? Are those places unionized? And if Disney Florida shut down would you breath a little sigh of relief?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]