The Buzz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on August 22, 1999 at 00:24:54:

Thought I'd pass along some interesting info for those wondering what's been going on.

I received an email response from James Bates, one of the staff writers from the L.A. Times whose recent article appropriately identified the quality of studio executives as a major problem in the entertainment industry. He informs me that the newspaper is preparing an item for the Calendar section, the section of the paper that deals with show biz matters, on what went wrong with the marketing of "The Iron Giant".

Also in the news, fresh from the pages of "The Pegboard", the Union's monthly newsletter. Rumor has it that director Brad Bird received an apology over the phone from Warner's head of publicity, Brad Ball, for screwing up so badly on the marketing of the film. Quoting from The Pegboard, "Part of his excuse for being unable to sell a movie hailed by everyone from Roger Ebert to Dr. Laura Schlessinger to Howard Stern, was to drag out the poor performance of 'Quest For Camelot'". Whatever that means. "And did he cut back the advertising budget for 'The Matrix' because of the poor box office of 'The Avengers'?" Proof positive that any third grader could do a better job than these so called animation marketing experts.

By the way, the Pegboard reported another item of interest...

"Word is circulating around Disney that the new division top-kick Peter Schneider is asking middle management animation execs to write essays justifying their jobs. Many animation execs, we're told, have not had their contracts picked up." Well, boo hoo.

Think that we're not making a difference?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]