Re: sharpen ye olde axe!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on August 16, 1999 at 16:30:54:

In Reply to: Re: sharpen ye olde axe! posted by BOSCO on August 16, 1999 at 12:28:18:

For the sake of clarification, my point about managerial discrimination against animation artists isn't about artists being done wrong, although they have. Quality management should always embrace the team ethic. Valuable input from the director and production artists are in many instances ignored, excluded, not considered or not sought. The tragedy for animation is that many in middle management, and I'll take it another step to include upper management as well, are no more qualified to be making key business decisions than any given production artist. The decisions they make are completely subjective and more often than not, downright ignorant and catastrophic. Your description of the importance of the "process" as opposed to the "product" is right on the money.

The solution for this problem is us. Artists need to realize that unless we start getting more involved in assuming managerial responsibilities, or demanding qualified management that is sentitive to or understands and respects the unique nature of this business, nothing will change and it will likely get worse.

As I've said many times before, I firmly believe that we don't need these people as our bosses. At the risk of sounding cliche, it's the tail wagging the dog. They should be working for us. The analogy you made about Walt Disney relating to his present day company is a perfect example. Any message delivered to shareholders of large entertainment conglomerates concerning patching up their leaky ships has to include more input and control from the animation artist side of the equation, perhaps by consolidating this control into more power and influence for the film's director in key areas such as marketing and overall production administration.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]