Is this corporate in-fighting?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jon on August 11, 1999 at 08:02:22:

In Reply to: Animation Executives at their best! posted by Charles on August 10, 1999 at 14:48:09:

Is it possible that these guys know EXACTLY what they're doing?

As we grow older and learn more about the way the world is run, behind the scenes, we are continually shocked and disappointed with reality.

Remember when we heard all about people starving around the world, and then found out that in America, the bread-basket of the world, our government was paying farmers NOT to grow food? And, perhaps worse than that, buying huge lots of food to be destroyed? The reason: to keep prices high. Economy more valuable than humanity. Our souls grew callouses from that one.

Now, we may face the new shocking reality that Time-Warner is either A) completely incompetent at promoting good films (unlikely, really), or B) corporate heads are maneuvering for the failure of the animation department, for personal reasons, or C) they really are making a move, costly as it is, against the American animation industry. I believe Option 'B' is fairly likely, and Option 'C' - more sinister, but still plausible - is also an unthinkable possibility. Why would they do this? I get a headache even trying to get into that mindset ...

What kills me (figuratively AND economically) is that TV production was cut back as a direct result of "Quest's" poor showing at the box office. 80 Los Angeles-based animators were put out on the streets, but 30 Chicago-based animators lost their bread-and-butter, too.

Big business is dangerous. America was built on small businesses. We need to return to that. It will take strength, intelligence, persistence, management ... and a continued commitment to excellence. God help us.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]