Re: Why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on July 15, 1999 at 15:53:14:

In Reply to: Re: Why? posted by Catchem on July 15, 1999 at 02:27:12:

My experiences with this animation genre at the time has tainted my opinion. I was involved with the development of what eventually became Hallmark's first foray into animation - a thoroughly forgetable show that aired on NBC in 1982 called "Shirt Tales". It was a time when the two greeting card giants were going head to head in animation with prolific properties like "Rainbow Brite" and "The Care Bears".

The era wasn't a high point for the biz. There were a lot of creatively frustrated artists. There was hardly a studio in town that wasn't producing a toy based show. Toy, comic book and greeting card companies controlled what was going on. They were paying off the networks to get their shows on the air and sell their product. It was a dark time for the industry here in L.A. Disney was the only feature game in town and they were producing "The Black Cauldron".

When I recently mentioned The Getalong Gang to some people, it actually generated a good vibe. I didn't see the Nelvana pilot nor any of the series as I had no real compulsion to, considering my experiences at the time. I'm willing to give Nelvana's production the benefit of the doubt that it was done well enough to bring a smile to some faces after all these years.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]