In general

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Gordon on March 20, 1999 at 11:47:13:

In Reply to: Blue skies. posted by Charles on March 19, 1999 at 23:17:19:

I've been sort of following along now for awhile. The original comments that were posted by Charles and subsequent reactions by others.
I think this is all great and interesting and will try to attend the meeting on April 1st if at all possible (even though it involves a 2 hour drive and cuts into Pesach).
But first I think, for me at least, to get a handle on things I need to know who everyone is. I think its imperitive that before someone gives an opinion we need to know where they come from.
Some are self-explanatory (such as Dave Brewster or someone saying they are just a student), but others, such as Charles, should indicate what type of experience they've had in the industry before they can have valid claims to never having met a good or honest producer.

How are we to do know that this won't open the door for just another medi-ochre artist, who has no respect within the industry, trying to set up his or her own studio to become the next hated producer?

I'm not suggesting that this is so, but after being in the industry for over 20 years I know that not all artists are created the same (this is the mistake that the union made during the last stike) and to assume that all artist are on a superior plane than the non-artist production people is a huge mistake.
Not to mention all the artists that are in positions of authority -- dispite the thoughts expressed by disgruntled artists - there are many artists now in postions of authority. All be it, most end up behaving more like non-artists when they achieve this status. Or is this a sympton of the position - not who fills it?

Let me also express that I have worked for numerous producers (not all artists) who were very good people and tried to do the best job they could for all invovled.

I will stop ranting now and just sit back and continue reading.
Thanks.
Now, since my concern was to tell who one is when expressing an opinion I will: I've been in the industry for over 20 years (as previously mentioned) and have worked for most of the major and non-major studios over those years form Disney to Bakshi and everything in between. I'm a member of the union (support them) and a member of the AMPAS. I do everything from animation to storyboard to pesentation to design to direction (and have even produced some minor bits when the necessity arose).

The one thing I feel is necessary to let all know who have never been in a position of authority is that it doesn't matter how hard you try to do the right for the artists under you there will always be those who, at projects end, despise you. It's my feeling is that the type of person that moves into this industry as an artist tends to be someone who already has a problem with authority of any type.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]