Great Street, Great School, Great City

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on July 11, 1999 at 23:21:08:

In Reply to: Re: That Great Street posted by Kev on July 11, 1999 at 11:10:15:

I was there from '78 to '80 after four years as an art major in a college where I was set loose to fend for myself at the agencies on North Michigan Avenue, only to realize that I was never taught what I should have been taught to start with.

The American Academy was a great school back then and thank God for Irving Shapiro. My meeting with him to get into the school changed my life and got my career on track. The school may have chased away the ones who weren't serious, but it reeled in the ones who were.

When I started my own school, I adopted their approach to making your first year a fundamentals boot camp. My students are getting jobs at a time when employment is tight because they're so fundamentally strong in their basic skills. They leave my place kicking ass big time. While all these other schools around here are baby sitting their students, mine break into the biz.

It's good to be able to tell the world about a once great art school in the heart of Chicago's Loop and the great art educators that taught there like Bob Krajecki, Joe Van Severin, Irving Shapiro, Eugene Hall and many others. Thomas Blackshear, one of America's greatest artists and illustrators came from that school in 1977, as did Richard Schmid in the 50s. Donald Towns, one of Disney Feature's top background painters in the 70s and 80s went there too. It was one of Hallmark's favorite schools for recruiting new talent.

Nice to know there are fellow alumni out and about.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]