Re: That Great Street

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kev on July 11, 1999 at 11:10:15:

In Reply to: That Great Street posted by Jon on July 11, 1999 at 06:27:18:

: No kiddin, Kev? American Academy of Art at 220 S. State Street? Went there myself, way back in '75. There was some poor book-wormy little bastard in charge of the "animation" department then, but you had to have prerequisites to get into his class (like, what, Pencil-Sharpening 101? How to Draw Like Your Blind Grandmother 201?).

Went there in Ď73, then quit, then thought about an art career again in Ď83. (I didnít become the rock star I wanted to. Couldnít come up with a catchy stage name, and all the good ones were taken, like Ringo) I didnít even know they had an animation class. Great little school. Well it was anyway. There are a few of us academy members out here believe or not.

: Ah, well, the Fundamentals class was interesting, and the Life-Drawing was invaluable. Word has it that since Shapiro sold it (in the late 80's?), it's gone badly downhill.

And it moved. . .twice! Shapiro didnít sell it. He never owned it. He was however, forced to step down as director and relagated to just teaching watercolor. He apparently was too hard on students. You remember, those who didnít want to study seriously were kicked out, no matter what kind of money their daddies had. Now itís like everywhere else. You got money you can go. I had him for watercolor, great teacher. Olí Irving died a few years ago. All that rich liviní I guess.

: After a year there, I went into truck driving.

I went three, then drove a car.

: Them was the days.

Yup, they were.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: