Re: Addressing Union Problems

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on July 09, 1999 at 10:52:03:

In Reply to: Addressing Union Problems posted by Charles on July 07, 1999 at 00:03:33:

: In any case, I believe that the issue you brought up about the 56 hour work week at Sony is a great reminder of how far the Union really has to go before it can regain the trust and confidence of many of its members. Nothing will ever change unless the Union membership gets involved and demands an end to this kind of acquiesance. If they aren't pressured, nothing will change.

Wouldn’t this then mean Charles, that all these animation artists should show up and voice their opinion at the meetings? I mentioned a union meeting back in May. I have to admit it, it was the first one I’ve attended and I’ve been in the union about 5 years. Curiosity got the best of me. (But after attending just one meeting I can see why nobody bothers. The word “boring” comes to mind. It reminded me of sitting in church when I was a little kid. “Can we go noooooow mom?”) Anyway, I brought two new young right out of school, just paid into, union member, inbetweeners with me. I was trying to do my part. I was surprised I didn’t see more people aside from what I figured were the “regulars”. With all the people out of work, you figure a lot more people would have the hour or two to kill, er, I mean, attend and address all these issues we are talking about right here. They will keep making the decisions for us if we aren’t there. Isn’t that what you are saying?

: You can't just sit there and let other people take care of it, or think that the problem will go away by complaining about it among friends while never taking it to a Union meeting to be addressed. The IATSE employees who administrate Local 839 think they know what's best for animation artists even though they're not animation artists themselves. There has to be an "in your face" but professional confrontation with these people by the Union's constituency to get them to think twice before they agree to these kind of terms on the behalf of animation artists. Maybe they think that this will encourage Sony to keep more jobs stateside. In any case, if the membership doesn't get directly involved, count on more of the same kind of representation.

This is what I mean. . . So, Chuck, see you at the next one? Free pizza ya know.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]