Executive Creativity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on July 06, 1999 at 16:42:10:

This is something from the Union's latest newsletter.

After Warner Brothers announced its animated adventure "Osmosis Jones", it's been reported that Disney approved development of their own microscopic movie called "Germs" to be done ASAP by their Australian division.

Let's see... first there was a computer animated feature from Dreamworks called "Antz", followed by Disney's "A Bug's Life". Currently, Dreamworks has an Aztec themed feature in production called "Eldorado" while Disney has an Inca feature entitled "Kingdom of the Sun". Following these movies, Dreamworks has a feature lined up called "Spirit" about the American West told through the perspective of wild horses. Disney has one called either "Biting Bullets" or "Sweating Bullets", I'm not sure, about the American West told through the perspective of range cattle.

Is it just me, or is there a pattern here?

Gee willikers, Mr. Animation Executives... Don't you think this is kind of stupid? I mean, I know how important you all are and how the planet earth waits with eager anticipation to see which direction you are going to lead humanity, but I fail to see the thinking behind this kind of long term planning for animation. I know that it's not the place of humble animation artists to question the integrity of your wisdom, but couldn't this copy cat mentality be just a little unhealthy for this industry? You've all identified the frangmentation of the market as a problem. I just don't see this as a solution, do you? Well, you must if this is what you're doing.

Forgive me for second guessing you, your omnipotent highnesses. May I suggest loosening your ties just a little bit. It's a proven medical fact that lack of oxygen causes brain damage, especially in the areas responsible for logical thinking, creativity and problem solving. God knows, we need that gray matter of yours in top operating condition, if it's possible.

Anyway, best of luck! We're all keeping our fingers crossed in hopes that the damage you may do is not irreperable.

Who knows. Maybe this is a good thing. The more original animation that's going on, the more you'll be inclined to copy it, the more work to go around. Why don't you schedule a meeting to talk about this. Don't forget to stick to your tradition and keep animation artists from attending.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]