Re: Anonimouse. Or what nonunion bosses say to each other.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 15, 1999 at 21:41:31:

In Reply to: Re: Anonimouse. Or what nonunion bosses say to each other. posted by Not Jon on June 11, 1999 at 19:16:24:

: :Not that I've had that much time, Dave, but I found a couple of websites you might be interested in. They're of no use to you or me, because we're not Canadian.

Well, I am Canadian and they are still of no use to me. It cant be used to fund an American production. As I said, absolutely no one I know has even been able to use them for funding any animation production let alone a commercial projects.

But they make some interesting web-surfing. Click around these sites and see if it isn't apparent that there are at least two tax programs available to Canadian producers.

: Film Tax Credit Program
: http://www.rc.gc.ca/ftc/

: Canadian Television Fund
: http://www.telefilm.gc.ca/en/fin/ctf.html

: Now you can say what you like about these, but the percentages they are reimbursing are HUGE!

Yeah, sure that sounds great but sorry, as I said they get used for funding crappy low budget Canadian films. Canadian, get it ? Show me a rich Canadian film maker that got ANY funds from Telefilm (snicker). Wondering WHY the percentages are so high ? Guess ? Go ahead , guess. You and I both know dont we. Because the Canadian budgets are so incredibly nonexistent. You could buy a couple six packs and a bag of chips with the collective production budgets from all Canadian films made in 1999.
Funny we arenít being flooded by all that government money funded film from up north are we . Hehehehehehe.

: If I could get the kind of rebates these programs offer, StarToons could go out and get TV series at cost, just for cashflow.

Move to Canada then . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Become Canadian. After that I you can comeback and tell us how rich you are. HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: If you don't arrive at the same conclusion, well, you'll have to explain it to me.

You can come to any conclusion you like. THERE ARE NO AMERICAN SERIES THAT QUALIFY FOR ANY KIND OF REBATE,SUSIDE, GRANT. BONUS OR TAXBREAK. Now we can run over it one more time so you are clear. CANADIAN FILMS. NOT AMERICAN FILMS. NO WORK THAT GOES TO A CANADIAN COMPANY FROM THE STATES QUALIFIES! As I said.

And finally, to close our discussions. Unless you are going to somehow PROVE that there are any CANADIAN companies you are competing with in Canada that gets FUNDS from any government agency , we are at an end with this. Proving that the Canadian government funds Canadian filmlets (smaller than regular films) means absolutely ZIP.

Think of it this way, the highest grossing Canadian film was CAREBEARS THE MOVIE. Embarrassing, isnít it. Grossing a staggering 35 mill. Nelvana suffered a staggering loss on Rock and Rule. Telefilm gave so much funding that Nelvana ended up HAVING TO SELL OF PART OF THE STUDIO TO SURVIVE! It took them years to recover and buy back their studio.

:I might be out there soon - you bring the aspirin, I'll buy the beer.

Generic aspirin will do.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]