Chill

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on June 13, 1999 at 00:43:37:

In the words of the immortal Rodney King, "Can we all just get along?"

I've been reading the posts for the last couple of weeks now and I'm at loss for what to say. I don't understand why personal insults have to accompany disenting opinions. There have been many excellent points made. I don't think that verbal mud wrestling is the direction this should be going in.

Animation Nation is a medium for getting ourselves together. I can just imagine what the typical animation executive would say if he or she were reading some of these messages. It would provide them with the perfect consolation that nothing in our industry will ever change.

How many times do I have to say this? We are not the enemy. One of the reasons that things in animation have gotten so screwed up is because we let it. We fight among ourselves like infantile novices over issues that simply don't warrant this kind of response. The home page of this website proclaims that we should unite. Anyone following what's been going on lately would think that's the last thing on anyone's mind.

A lot of good has come from this site and this message board. Why are you so willing to demean it with unprofessional attitudes and petty little insults. Valuable information has been shared by very experienced artists who may not come back because of the level of this dialogue. If someone disagrees with you, there's nothing wrong with it. It's the way of the world. If you can't get anywhere with that person, then just let it go. Things in L.A. are different than they are in Chicago, New York, Texas, Canada, wherever and vice versa. The suit culture is different. Feature animation has its own criteria as does television production and video games. Each has its place in the pantheon of what we do. What works in one area may not be appropriate for the other. The differences don't automatically give one a license to be so quick to judge. If you've never worked in animation in L.A., then think twice about the conclusions you come to. If you haven't worked in Chicago, New York or Australia, the same applies.

This web site was originally initiated for the benefit of animation artists in L.A. If it hadn't been for this message board, most animation artists in Los Angeles would of had no idea what was going on outside of this area. The contributions by everyone who's been participating so far have been significant. They've vastly expanded the scope of this movement. Why ruin it with this meaningless infighting.

You're welcome to come here and say what you want. I'll continue my policy of leaving everyone's messages unedited. Please use the better part of discretion when you have something meaningful to say.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]