Re: Hats off to trend setters

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob on March 14, 1999 at 20:42:13:

In Reply to: Hats off to trend setters posted by Charles on March 11, 1999 at 22:20:07:

: Well, Bob, I read the material that you referred me to. Interesting array of opinions. ... I can't say I blame them for sending more of their work to other countries if a subsidy is involved and currency exchange rates are favorable. But what surprises me is the fact that they seem to think we're going to sit back and do nothing. Those same exchange rates and subsidies are available to us as well. Imagine animation studios, owned and operated by artists, making use of the same system that pseudo producers utilize so effectively to achieve an extraordinary level of mediocrity in their product. The hardships that we will be dealing with are unavoidable. This is the way that the industry is going. But animation is not going to disappear and neither are we. The future belongs to those who are able to produce first rate animated entertainment within the limitations of reduced production budgets. The American Animation Industry has the fortitude and the creative, problem solving capabilities and determination to meet and greet that challenge. There are more than enough artists willing to do it here, in the U.S., for the budget that they send the work out overseas. This is a trend that the experts fail to realize.

Dear Charles:

Thank you for your observations. I know of at least four artist-owned studios of significant size outside of Los Angeles: Character Builders in Ohio, which will be doing the BONE movie for Nickelodeon, Perennial Pictures in Indianapolis, which specializes in direct-to-videos, Lone Wolf Productions in Austin, Texas, which subcontracts to the major studios, and Stretch Films in New York, which is producing COURAGE, THE COWARDLY DOG for the Cartoon Network. But even though they're artist-owned studios, they're still dependent on corporate entities that control production and distribution, the same corporate entities that control the rest of us here in Los Angeles. These independent filmmakers also have to answer ... to suits.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]