Roger Ebert's comments

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on June 02, 1999 at 02:29:26:

The other night, I happened to turn on my tv and I was in luck. I caught Roger Ebert as he assessed the state of animation in entertainment. He talked about the huge domestic popularity of anime and signs of its influence in American animation, then commented on 4 features being slated for release this summer. They are Disney's "Tarzan", Warner's "Iron Giant", "Princess Mononoke" and "South Park".

He was very enthusiastic about the state of animation and said something along the lines of how great a period the art is in. He was very upbeat and his comments helped bring to mind the positive in what is going on in our worldwide industry. Ebert went on to explain how animation is a medium of choice for many filmmakers because of its limitless creative possibilities. Anything that can be imagined can be animated.

I was very inspired by what he said. Regardless of the problems we are facing, the market for quality animated product is still there and it's still growing. Pseudo producers, hollow headed executives and Union problems may slow the train, but it won't keep us from getting there. This is a very exciting period that we are entering into. There's no reason to doubt the outcome of the fight if we continue moving forward boldly. The art will carry us through. That, and our determination in pushing the creative envelope and redefining the roles we've traditionally played.

I'm a big believer in us, and apparently so is Roger Ebert.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]