Animation budgets

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on May 29, 1999 at 22:14:19:

In Reply to: LETS' GET REAL ABOUT ANIMATION COSTS posted by BRIAN MITCHELL on May 29, 1999 at 14:26:39:

I'm with you all the way.

A few additional items to include - overhead, accounting costs, equipment and supplies and... oh, yes! How could I forget! Let's not neglect the cost of our non-creative administrative nannies and their support staff. The most expensive items on the check list. And Brian... make sure that you place them above the line.

I've been intrigued by a web site I've seen recently that belongs to a domestic animation studio not here in L.A., in which L.A. animation artists are portrayed as an elitist horse sitting atop a mound of money. In the next panel, we're portrayed as being incredibley unproductive. All this under the heading of "The Animation Revolution". Amazing.

Tell you what, fellow animation comrades in other parts of our glorious country. I have a proposal for you. Why don't we swap. Why don't you get rid of some of your best artists, set up some nice, spacious, plush executive offices in your studios, then take a few of our resident managerial geniuses for a trial run. You know... the same ones that farm out work to you. Get them into your studios and give them complete control over every aspect of your business and your productions. Including whether or not you stay employed. Go ahead and give it a try. We'll see how your production costs are maintained. Don't worry if things go south. We'll be here to take care of the production that you can't handle, and we'll do it at a lower price than you. Then we'll blame you, our revolutionary comrade artists, for making animation so expensive in your part of our glorious nation, laugh at you and put pictures on this web site of you as a lazy jack ass. Then we'll start giving you advice about how to fix your
problems. Of course, that advice will be to include working hand in hand with your "suit brothers" in making the changes necessary for reviving your studios, because we want to keep getting the work.

Your observations are right on, Brian. Your encouraging advice is right on, too. There are animation artists out here doing just what you suggest.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]