Nickelodeon Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on May 26, 1999 at 15:25:42:

I've been informed that a layoff is on its way for some animation talent at Nickelodeon. It appears that the "Cat Dog" crew may be affected the most.

In my conversations with some artists who work there, they seemed somewhat stunned by the news. The studio had been building themselves up as a place where artists could work their entire careers and someday retire. Those were promises made to them by animation executives, of course.

While it may be necessary for Nick to layoff some artists to keep their bottom line in check, it will be intertesting to see how many of their employees in management will be affected. I project that none of them will be let go, but one never knows. If the pattern holds true, animation artists will once again carry the full brunt of a slowdown.

Nickelodeon has made a major committment to and has a vested interest in animation. Layoffs are not the end of civilization as we know it, and I would encourage those artists who may be affected by this to stay productive and not to be discouraged. Some friendly advice - prepare while you are working as much as you can for the lean times before they come. Save your money and keep your connections to other studios healthy. Continually strive to improve the quality of your work and diversify. Learn new skills associated with animation production. Specialize, but expand into other artistic areas that will give you the flexibility to accept a wider variety of work.

I know how talented the men and women of Nickelodeon are. Keep the faith and don't lose confidence in yourselves.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]