Re: The Business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on May 24, 1999 at 13:42:09:

In Reply to: Re: The Business posted by forever learning on May 23, 1999 at 21:18:11:

I can tell you that I never read resumes unless the reel is interesting. Myself, I have no interest in the school. Just in what the person efforts come to. If there is I bias towards people from one or the other I don't know of it. I personally quit Sheridan in second year because I felt the things I needed to know were not to be found in a school situation. I'm not in anyway a perfect example of being a good product of the system. If someone hires an artist just because they are from a school they would be commiting suicide .

Although some good things did come out of it(not many) if it wasn't for people like Sue Kroyer, Alex Topete, Steve Huston, Phil Denslow, Glenn Vilpuu, Karl Gnass, Charles, Christian Lignan, Chris Sauve, Tony Fucile, and my high school instructor-of all people-I'd be up **** creek.
: The one string that runs through all of those people is that none of those people are affiliated with large universities or art schools. They're people that I sought out after graduating knowing that what I had learned at a reputable instition didn't even come close to cutting it. And even though that school cost less than the other high priced schools try out $11,000 a year. Thats bad enough especially when you see the equipment we had to work with.

: The funny thing is is that even though I'm pretty confidant in my abilities now I still have to fight for the work I get because I don't have Sheridan or CalArts on my resume. It's unfortunate, sometimes very frustrating and moral destroying causing more than a few late night conversations with my fiance. But, I'll never give up because what else will I do...collect garbage...well I guess they pay well. I wish students from my old school helped each other out like former students from the others. NOW THAT I THINK ABOUT IT---I'M PISSED OFF! (just kidding. I'm doing better than most people in the world so I can't complain. I always feel good after a day at the beach.)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]