Re: The Business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lost Soul on May 23, 1999 at 18:19:32:

In Reply to: The Business posted by Charles on May 21, 1999 at 23:35:11:

It's great to hear that there are viable (and even better alternatives) to high-priced "institutional" animation education. I know of some former Sheridan instructors who did in fact break away to start their own school. Based in Toronto, Ontario (website http://www.maxthemutt.com), they offer courses that stress principles not taught at Sheridan (such as inbetweening and clean-up, believe it or not!) Another alternative in Ontario is Ottawa's Algonquin college...assuming all the information in their course descriptions is correct, they also offer so much information that just isn't in the Sheridan curriculum. In addition, they've gone to the trouble to develop a program which integrates classical and computer animation.

Last year, disillusioned Sheridan students put up a banner in the classrooms which read: "Reputation should not overshadow education." What drew me to that school in the first place was its reputation, which I so naively believed was was founded in the best possible education. Now I realize that it's a serious case of "The Emperor's New Clothes." We students believed that Sheridan was the "Harvard of Animation" because the powers that be kept telling us it was--even when there was so much contrary evidence staring us right in the face (by the way, students from my year also put up a banner in the classrooms not too long ago--complete with a drawing of a student chained to a desk, it read: "Classical Slave-imation.")

The advice I'd like to give to prospective students is to seek out the kind of education Charles has described--if a school doesn't exist that offers it, learn on your own. The only doubt I have with this approach is something I've heard others say, and I'd deeply appreciate clarification on this: Is a degree from a school necessary for Canadian animators who would like to work in the States? If not, what other avenues are available?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]