I've heard the same

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on May 05, 1999 at 17:48:38:

In Reply to: Re: Past experiences with the pitch posted by Sandra on May 01, 1999 at 23:42:38:

I've heard others comment about the "less is more" trend in pitches. I was told that a series which Nickelodeon produces was developed from a little doodle that an exec happened to see scribbled in the corner of a page for another property that was being pitched. They went with the doodle instead of the presentation roughs.

The pitch that I made which I described on this message board happened a long time ago. I wouldn't go through the entire process again of making such an elaborate presentation effort, nor would I recommend others to go that route. The same person that told me about the doodle that won over Nickelodeon has also informed me that a few seconds of animation go a long way towards selling the concept, and he got this info straight from one of the executives who reviews pitches.

If an artist has a property that he or she believes in and the rough sketches don't do it, my suggestion is to redirect one's creative energy into producing at least some footage of the property. Pencil test video with some dialogue or music can make a big difference in communicating to others what you have in mind, and it may increase your chances of a pick up. It's also a good way to break into the production aspect of animation. Who knows where it might lead? At least you're bringing your project to life instead of leaving its destiny to the whims of trend junkies.

As for myself, unless I had a solid relationship with a studio head or had a pit bull attorney with me at all times, I would keep my rough sketches confidential and opt for going straight to animation, which I've done. I'd feel much more at ease walking into a presentation with animation to show. Rough sketches of concepts are easy to rip off and I would refrain from it, but that's me. Others may feel more comfortable with this procedure. My past experiences with studio executives and the criteria they use to come to creative decisions is not something that I am compelled to embrace. I don't trust them. I'd rather go right into animation then make my pitch.

I believe that we need more independent production taking place in L.A. and that our long term future in the animation business depends upon it. That's why I encourage production regardless of presentation parameters.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]