"Iron Giant" in L.A. Times

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on April 28, 1999 at 15:43:57:

In the Calendar section of the April 26 edition of the Los Angeles Times, the cover story discusses the upcoming feature "Iron Giant". A subtitle in the article read "Absence of Meddling From Studio Executives" and went on to point out that the film is a marked improvement from "Quest" which was plagued by mismanagement.

Dreamworks animator Dave Brewster is quoted as saying, "On 'The Quest for Camelot', Warner Bros. wouldn't let the director direct and they got burned badly, so they were willing to exchange control for a low budget. The reason the old Warner Bros. cartoons are among the best ever made is that management stayed out of things when the artists were making them."

Brad Bird, the film's director added, "As long as we showed them we were producing the movie responsibly, they let us make the film without any interference. That's a very rare thing and we took full advantage of it." Maybe it will be more common once the film is released and the world can see what a great job these responsible visionaries have done.

I've had the opportunity to get a glimpse at several sequences of the film. My first impressions are very positive. I think it will be a landmark animated film that will keep the creative expansion going. The quality of the production is first rate and the story is compelling and entertaining. I hope it's a blow out success and that it inspires other directors, producers and animation talent to put their foot down and insist that these corporate nursemaids stay out of their way so they can exercise the kind of responsible production management animation executives should have been utilizing all along.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]