International may be the way

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on April 27, 1999 at 15:24:06:

In Reply to: Why work in America? Work internationally, get respect. posted by James Haden on April 25, 1999 at 06:53:32:

I've spoken with a few people recently who've been bringing me up to date about what they've been experiencing and what they know about animation in countries other than the U.S. One of them is connected to a producer who has had success selling overseas when the doors in L.A. were shut. Another fellow is an artist who wants to animate, but is facing 5 to 7 years working in clean-up and inbetweening before he can make the jump. He's about to sign a two year contract with a major studio's satellite operation in Australia where he'll be able to go right into animation without having to spend years waiting his turn over here.

Another friend has been telling me about how animation artists are treated in Europe and Japan, which is a far cry from what we experience in Los Angeles. Another has been keeping me up to date about pitches he's been making to a major animation/distribution studio. In three meetings with executives within the last few weeks, he's met with three different people, each one of them a neophyte who couldn't tell him which way was up or down.

It appears that most American executives involved in television animation are looking for the same thing - animated properties featuring comical, disfunctional families that are designed in an odd, non-drawing style. The heighth of creative thinking. Wonder where they got the concept.

It's a good idea to expand our horizons and embrace international opportrunities. The market in America, more specifically L.A., is very difficult right now. Many veterans are being locked out of animation distribution by Disney, Saban, Warners and others, forcing them to look elsewhere for distribution and production partnerships. The independent producers who are doing this seem to be much happier than if they were dealing with American executives.

I don't know what it is about the corporate, non-creative culture that our executive managers are bred from and subscribe to, as opposed to the rest of the world. Must be something in the water.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]