Confessions of an ex-exec

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jerry Beck on March 10, 1999 at 07:06:05:

Much of what you say is true, and you're facts are pretty accurate. I wanted to be an animator -- I went to SVA in N.Y.C. (met Tom Sito there, when we was kids in 1974), but the business was So bad in the 1970s that I shifted focus and became an animation historian instead. My love of cartoons and my non-artistic day-job skills eventually led me to become involved with animation on other levels. I just spent 3 years at Nickelodeon and eight months at Disney TV Animation, so I can vouch for some of your comments about executives in animation. Most of them should be working at Ralph's (the Supermarket, NOT Bakshi -- on second thought, a week with Ralph Bakshi might scare them of any thought of ever working in animation again!) I've left the corporate situation because I felt my brain melting from the STUPIDITY of the "powers that be". There are some bright spots today -- it isn't all doom and gloom - Matt Groening's THE SIMPSONS and FUTURAMA, Brad Bird's THE IRON GIANT, anything Pixar, Disney's TARZAN, KING OF THE HILL & THE PJ's, I hear SPONGEBOB SQUAREPANTS (at Nick) is funny... I believe the good will prevail, and the idiots will move on...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]