A Friend's Pitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on April 19, 1999 at 17:40:23:

The other day I happened to pay a visit to a friend of mine who works as an artist in animation. He is a very talented draughtsman with many years of experience. He has a unique, offbeat sense of humor and it shows in his work.

I noticed some impressive art that was hanging on the walls of his home. The artwork was a presentation that he had produced based on a concept for an animated series he had pitched to some executives around town a short while ago.

When I asked him about the results of his pitch, he chuckled and told me that it didn't go very well. I asked why, since in my opinion I felt that his concept was strong and the property had a lot of appeal and integrity. He informed me that the executives who reviewed the presentation dismissed it outright. They told him that the problem they had with it was that it was drawn too well.

Another glimpse into the minds of these people. I never thought I'd see the day when such a promising original concept backed by an impressive presentation would be turned down because the drawing was too good, but nothing amazes me anymore when it comes to these people.

I encouraged him not to take what they had to say too seriously. I suggested that he if he really believed in his project, to revive it and produce a 60 second pilot, then pitch it again. Make a little pilot that is better than what they produce themselves, then give them a peek at what a strong piece of animation can look like when done by an independent with some creative vision who knows how to draw.

Sometimes these folks have to be spoon fed, so wrap a little bib around their necks, place them comfortabley in their favorite high chair, then show them something with artistic integrity behind it. A good concept that is well executed has a place in the animation pantheon. Who knows? Maybe they'll realize it and make the jump to solid food.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]