Another sign of an expanding market

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on April 10, 1999 at 01:06:05:

I would like to share some more information that has come to me which I believe is another indication of the growing market for animation despite the best efforts of our industry's executive management to mess up a good thing.

I had a meeting the other day with the new president of the video game division of a major Hollywood studio. The context of much of our conversation was centered around a new technolgy that has been developed by Sony for the PlayStation video game format. This new technology will enable video game developers and producers to introduce much more animation than they could have realized before. As a result, production budgets are going to increase and so will the quality of the final product.

Animation for video game production has become much more sophisticated in a very short period of time. Only a few years ago, video games were produced for very little money by small teams. They've since grown to a level of production requiring the kind of environment and backing associated with the production of a television series. With the new technology, the production system will be expanding again.

The great thing about the video game industry is that so many of its movers and shakers are people who know the medium and have grown with it. Many, if not most of the principals heading up production companies are digital artists and programers. Individuals intimately involved in production. A far cry from what we deal with in TV and movies.

These artists and programers tend to create strong bonds between themselves and the members of their staff. It is not at all unusual to see these teams working year long and year round, with many of them receiving bonuses and not having to worry about being blacklisted if they happen to disagree with their employer.

Work isn't arbitrarily sent to other countries, non-productive executive personnel are not padding budgets and everyone prospers.

There's no reason at all why we can't have similar situations in our end of the animated entertainment industry.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]