Re: Songs in animation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin on April 09, 1999 at 10:28:54:

In Reply to: Songs in animation posted by Matthew Sullivan on April 09, 1999 at 01:29:40:

I agree totally in your music assumption. While Iron Giant doesn't have any songs it does have background music indicitive of it's time period which I think is important. We don't see the giant breaking out into a tune to find his inspiration or find out who he is.

Being a musician long before I even thought about getting into this business, I still think music plays an important part in the films. It's just that the Disney mold has to be broken and everybody should think of new ways to incorporate music as a part of the whole story. Ever hear any blues, traditional country or anything besides show tunes? No, because that's all the executives after seeing all the successes at Disney think will work. There's plenty of music to go around, especially to set a emotional element into the film. The characters don't have to sing unless the character is a singer perhaps.

I can't stand it when a character breaks into song either, it's so unnatural and usually in most cases, stops the story dead in it's tracks. There's more to films than an Alan Menken soundtrack.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]