Songs in animation

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matthew Sullivan on April 09, 1999 at 01:29:40:

For a long time I have been opposed to the notion that every American animated feature has to be a musical. I know I'm not the first or the only one to ever voice their displeasure on this topic. Being young and relatively new to animation I find that if I bring up this topic to older members of the industry they remain defiant in their ways, as if the past 10 years or so of success they have enjoyed will be shattered if someone dares to break the mold. If there are any executives who regularly read this board I would like to take this opportunity to tactfully suggest you alter your perception as to what can be done in animation. Songs interrupt the flow of a film and cause the audience to become uncomfortable. Many people out there who love animation can't stand it when the main character bursts into song every few minutes. I have not once gone to an animated feature in the past 10 years without dreading the inevitable crooning so regularly expected. I can only hope IRON GIANT is a notable success because if it isn't, the executives will blame it on the fact the movie had no songs in it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]