Interesting news about a favorite subject

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles on April 05, 1999 at 18:01:47:

In Reply to: Interesting news about a favorite subject posted by Charles on April 05, 1999 at 17:56:14:

For those of you who feel that we should be nice to the non-creative executive administrative entity ruling over us and our animation industry, I'd like to inform you about a development that has recently transpired.

There's been a prime time animated special that's been gearing up. A local animation studio was going to book the production, then hand it over to an independent production team who was going to do all of the work and make this studio look really good to the client, in this case a major network.

The production has been lost to Canada. Why? Well, it turns out that one of the reasons this major network decided to go the way they did was because of the budget that these executives, managers, whatever you call them, had prepared.

The budget for this project was just about $1,000,000. These sharp shootin' animation pros included a cumulative fee of approximately $350,000 as I've been told. That means that the real production budget was around $650,000 for a half hour show. These people, (there weren't that many of them), decided to mark up the actual production budget by nearly 54%. This means that the budget, adjusted to absorb their fee, was comprised of a 35% pay-off to the executive administrators of the project. A very small group who were going to do nothing at all but take the money and pass the work on to a real producer to do it for them.

Although it wasn't the only factor involved in the decision, the inflated budget played a large part in the network people making up their minds to send this to our neighbors in the north.

I'm sure these production executives are really nice people. I'm sure that they have friends, families and that they make charitable contributions throughout the year. They are the pillars of our society. Nicest bunch of folks you'd ever want to meet. And smart, too! Why, just look around! Look at the wonderful industry they've helped us build! Look at all of the responsible decisions they've made! Just look at what a great job they are doing, leading our industry into the future!

And here we are, all of us ungrateful animation artists, making too much money and bringing all of these problems down upon ourselves.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]