I Do Declare

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob's Pal on April 04, 1999 at 22:18:05:

Hello Friends and cohorts,

I've been an Animation Industry Pro for a few of the majors since the mid-eighties.

Though in attendance for the April 1st meeting, I arrived too late to hear Charles' opening comments. If anyone recorded them, I think we'd all appreciate a transcription here.

A few comments:

If the outspoken gentleman at the meeting is a "Troublemaker" then I think perhaps our industry could use a few MORE Troublemakers.

We are truly treated like sheep by the corporate wolves that mismanage our beloved artform. If more sheep are willing to collectively bite back then things could change.

However, even "Troublemakers" need to work towards solutions in concert with the rest of us, otherwise, it undermines our goals.

It wouldn't do to play into management's perception of artists as undisciplined, naive, ungrateful bohemians who don't know what's good for them. A group easially kept down, mistreated, and utterly interchangable.

We need to focus collectively on SPECIFIC, ATTAINABLE GOALS. If we get bogged down by minutiae then the wolves win. We make their case for them and in doing so, become our own worse enemy. How can we reform this artform if we cannot agree within our own group?

Obviously, we can't.

If everyone pulls in different directions, we'll be torn apart rather than reach the promised land.

May I humbly suggest (for lack of a better term) A "Declaration of Intent" so that we are all on the same page?

Charles, as the eloquent Alpha Male of this pack of hopeful Sheep, I hope that you'll consider drafting such a document.

Your Editorial Articles really moved me, spoke directly to my hopes and frustrations, and even made it hard for me to sleep some nights. If anyone can crystallize a definitive list of goals, then you are surely that person.

Gosspeed to us all. We deserve better.

We really do.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]