April 1st meeting

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom S on April 03, 1999 at 08:27:12:

Dear Charles,
Thank you for organizing the meeting last thursday. Besides old stalwarts it was a joy to see all the young people who came. If there is confusion over motives or intent or solutions that can be worked out. The most important message of thursday is that we are all in this together. We are of one tribe- animation people. Because like it or not thats the way the companies see us.
If you think you're a lone wolf, that you can go it alone -then you've been suckered by the companies. That's exactly how they'd like us all to think so they can more easily control us. Writers, directors, actors, dancers- they know they can't fight for their rights without sticking
together. Are we any different?
Hollywood is big business, big studios, big money- they don't care about this guy or that's whiney cry for aesthetic justice unless you band together as a group and when they push you, push back!
When people talk to you about these things, immediately think of their motives. What's in it for them? Some studio producer or former animator turned boss who tries to tell you like it is is just thinking of himself. The dumber he makes you the richer he'll get. They're laughing at you behind your back. Charles will not get rich or exploit this movement- he's sacrificed his own money to get that ballroom. He's thinking of us disinterested.
I dedicated 7 years of my life and made a lot of enemies out of former friends running our union. Why? To get rich? I don't get paid for it. I'm not a better animator because of it. IN fact, why am I wasting my time writing this? I've got two scripts I should be working on this weekend! But I see what good we can do for everyone if we stopped thinking of just ourselves for an instant and acted together.
Thanks again for an enlightening afternoon and I hope the dialogue will continue. -t.s.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]