A good term for this

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Vince on March 30, 1999 at 18:58:40:

Two days ago I heard a good word from a friend of mine that describes the whole situation at hand. By situation, I mean artists in relation to their creative ideas within the structure of this industry. Can one independently produce and promote their own properties or projects without any support whatsoever from the traditional source of finance and distribution? There are those who will bark YES in reaction because even the computer-illiterate individual knows the possibilities that are present now. The question is - who actually creates their own ideas and sees them through till completion? Where are the pioneering artists who are not numbed out by this system? Are there any Edward Manets in the industry not doing the 'should dos' or 'what sells'?
In the age of communication, information and the global understanding of the visual language the artist provides, the animator who is his or her own production house is of great value. My friend described a Ridley Scott film as a 'Post Industrial Age Decay' theme. If the economy of organized production is in fact in a state of post industrial decay, who are the parasites? What inspiration is being born anew in our creative community? Post industrial decay could fittingly be described as the dust accumulating on the numerous empty cubicles where a feature crew once worked or a big, promising TV animation studio in Glendale that had every reason to succeed early on but failed.
If you've got a great idea for a film, a comic book, a project you'd like to launch, the industry is a better place with your creative pro-activity than by sitting back and being a victim of this post industrial decay.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Animation Nation Message Board ] [ FAQ ]