animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Video at 1 trillion frames per second

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Video at 1 trillion frames per second

Postby Charles » Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm

In 1964 the first photograph was taken of a bullet being shot through an apple. The frame rate was one millionth of a second. To watch a movie of the same subject, a bullet being shot through an apple, at one trillion frames per second, would take you a year to view it according to Ramesh Raskar of MIT, the mastermind behind new camera technology that shoots so fast it can capture light as it moves.

Let me repeat that. Camera technology that is so fast you can observe how light moves.

Take a look at this video and see for yourself...

Daily Z

Charles

Re: Video at 1 trillion frames per second

Postby Charles » Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Just for fun I thought I'd see how long it would take to view a trillion frames at the normal film rate of 24 frames per second.

Rounding off, I divided 1,000,000,000,000 by 24. That came out to 41,666,666,666 seconds of film.

Then I divided that number by 60 to see how many minutes it would be. Comes out to 694,444,444 minutes.

I divided the number again by 60 to see how many hours. The figure is 11,574,047 hours.

Divided that by 24 to see how many days. The number is 482,253.

Divide it again by 365 to see how many years. It's 1321 years.

That's how long it would take to watch a trillion frames of film at 24 frames per second night and day.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion