animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Animation reflecting relevant topics

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Animation reflecting relevant topics

Postby NOREKdecay » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:01 pm

Just like art, animation has more than just one meaning. Some animation has itentionally meant to reflect something more to the viewer. I find these very interesting, and I didn't find any topic in the search bar on this forum with this subject. It might be something simular, if so then I hope it can be directed to that thread.

Speculating, sharing and discussing animation is both fun and learning. I hope somebody finds this relevat of interests to discuss, and I start to shoot with one good example of classic symbolic animation:

I, pet goat II

" A story about the fire at the heart of suffering.
Bringing together dancers, musicians, visual artists and 3d animators, the film takes a critical look at the events of the past decade that have shaped our world.
Main softwares used: Maya, Vray, FumeFX, RealFlow.

Original soundtrack "the Stream", written and performed by Tanuki Project.
thetanukiproject.com
Some of the stellar artists that worked on the short: strob.net, huguescoupal.com, sebastienlarroude.com, arnaudbrisebois.carbonmade.com, daverand.com beatstreetclassic.com
Animation is about half keyframe animation and half motion capture.
Motion capture recording by Lartech. "

What I like most with this shot, is how they master human psychology (look at the behaviour the diffrent characters have in interaction with one another) and other expressionistic meaning. They've risked a challanging style and doubble message. To leave some thought for (if any) hungry responses, what do you think of it?
NOREKdecay

Re: Animation reflecting relevant topics

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:15 pm

Wow that was amazing and surreal. Great topic, thanks for bringing it up and for posting this video. I've felt strongly for a long time that animation could and should be more than just funny nonsensical cartoons. Sometimes you see films that have a significant pertinence to what's happening in the world today. Most of the time that is not the case. It's good to know that high quality animation is being produced that's as powerful and message oriented as this video.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby NOREKdecay » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:32 am

Yes, and they can be very short, sometimes I find hidden messages in big film movies such as Monster Inc; where sometimes the right choises are diffcult because the boss/leader is not relyable. I don't know if that is intentional or not, but it is an interesting thought.

More movies:

Tippett studio - Mutant land

"A Tippett Studio Original Production
Created and Directed by Phil Tippett
Story: As the sun goes down in the dark and terrifying place that is Mutant Land, the creatures roaming this world are on the ultimate search for food.
for more info on the making of, check out this article in fxguide:
fxguide.com/featured/mutantland-from-the-mind-of-phil-tippett/ "

Crcr - Véuves

"Réalisation
Kevin MANACH
Two men look at a woman. One wants her, the other one gets her."
NOREKdecay

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:31 am

Excellent videos! Thanks for posting them.

Here's something that was done a few years ago by Tyree Dillihay who's over at Bento Box in Burbank at the moment directing on Bob's Burgers.

It was a very controversial film that landed him an interview on CNN when it was released. The relevant topic is the title of the film... "Read A Book"..

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:19 am

that first video was amazing. totally spoke to me..I'm at the point where everything is code to me. Symbols, movement, emotional content...this piece really brought the point home.

time to wake up
SNAKEBITE

Postby NOREKdecay » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:26 pm

Read a Book,

It's so much enjoyment the first time you see an hard worked animated short. There is alot of information spilled out, and to me the message is obvious: tell the viewer directly what they should do. An indirect message can be that " Read a book " is telling us to " get smarter " as if we were a bit dumb, which is not an insult but more of a tiny reflection, that we can learn so much more but we chose not to. Maybe. The animation is fitting well with the choise of style, some kind of modern cartoon. Which again, I think, tells us who they're trying to talk to. The twist from a soft and perfected cartoon characters into a more whacky and crazy ones is supporting the reciever to take it seriously. I think that, because the ones who don't brush their teeth, rather ride a woman witouth the fear of babies, never read a book, they don't take the reality seriously. so, there is no point in trying to show them serious. It's a well thought through animation and a nice share. It's clever what Tyree did that short. One guy. Speaks for itself on how creative he can be.

I also noticed it has some familiarties with Gorillaz - Dirty Harry (2005):

which has its reputation of being popular among both adults and teens/kids for it's vietnam war and cartoon content/message. They both use a green truck, rap, its cartoony, there is a top figure and kids following, + +.

I'll look for his interview, and here is another animation short made by Felix Colgrave or " aardvarkbutter ". He makes more gloomy but cartoony shorts, here is a music video he made for Shoe called Eggs:

more of his animation shorts http://aardvarkbutter.com/ if interested.
NOREKdecay

Postby skynet » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:46 pm

The first animation is probably the most symbolic one I've ever seen. Definitely a lot going on and probably has a different meaning for each person, but for me, that is life. There is no truth we can share except for the true fact that we each need to search for it. Ultimately there is no collective truth, only personal truth. Each person has to find their own truth and the only thing you can get from the external world is inspiration.

This animation creeps some people out but others find it beautiful.

skynet

Postby ArmyMan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:14 pm

Great topic. My wife, Sheila Sofian is an independent animator who works with documentary soundtracks. Her latest project, "Truth Has Fallen" is a 60-minute animated/live action documentary about three people who were convicted for murders they did not commit. The film exposes causes of wrongful convictions, such as the inaccuracy of eyewitness identification, the unreliability of "snitch" testimony, and forced confessions. Experts advocate for relatively simple changes to the justice system in order to reduce the rate of wrongful convictions. Here is a short trailer:

https://vimeo.com/46663897

She has also just started an Indiegogo campaign to get post-production funds. Anyone interested in contributing should go here:

http://www.indiegogo.com/TruthHasFallen?a=922083
ArmyMan

Postby Charles » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:50 pm

Let's embed the video ArmyMan.

Link to IndieGogo campaign.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby ArmyMan » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks, Charles! My posting skills are little rusty.
ArmyMan

Postby Charles » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:09 am

ArmyMan I've showcased Truth Has Fallen on AN's homepage for this date.

http://www.animationnation.com

Dedicated article here.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby ArmyMan » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 am

Here's a 2nd short trailer for Sheila Sofian's independent animated/live action documentary "Truth Has Fallen" which deals with the issue of wrongful convictions within the American legal system. She discusses some of the reasons why she feels animation is such a powerful tool in dealing with serious topics.

https://vimeo.com/46978427
ArmyMan

Postby Charles » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:11 am

Here's the embedded video...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby NOREKdecay » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:46 am

I liked the style and beauty in the shirt film "Descendants". It almost reflects the same probematics ArmyMan's wife express in her movie trailer. I really approve of what she/they is doing, that it is possible for a guilty to run free and an innocent take the punishment is no good. I'll see what I can do to help the campaign as well.

Another video, graduation film,

BEAT
NOREKdecay

Postby Charles » Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:01 pm

An excellent animated video dealing with relevant topics. This one is called "Lies" by Jonas Odell. Based on documentary interviews, these are three true stories, most likely, about telling lies. The narration is in Swedish with English subtitles. Winner of the International Jury Award at the Sundance Film Festival in 2009.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby NOREKdecay » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:51 pm

understanding sweedish, it was amusing enough to watch a third time. Much information and smoothly done.

Tom Fun Orchestra - Bottom of the River

" The Tom Fun Orchestra
Bottom of the River (Company House Records)
Director: Alasdair Brotherston and Jock Mooney
Producer: Richard Barnett
Production company: Trunk Animation
Compositing: Andy Hague, Alasdair Brotherston
Animation: 2D: Anna Benner, Timothy McCourt,
Alasdair Brotherston
3D: Patrick Krafft "
NOREKdecay

Postby NOREKdecay » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:39 pm

Q.
And even that closing shot of the 20th Century Fox logo surrounded in barbed wire?

A.
Approved by them. Obviously, the animation to do this was pricey. I couldn’t have just snuck it by Fox. I’ll just say it’s a place where edgy comedy can really thrive, as long as it’s funny, which I think this was. None of it’s personal. This is what made “The Simpsons” what it is. - executive producer Al Jean

Source - http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... y-opening/
NOREKdecay

Return to General Discussion