animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Mickey Mouse Studies

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Mickey Mouse Studies

Postby lavallelee » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:46 am

Trying to draw Mickey, some are really bad!

Loosening up.

Studying Mickey's head.

Attachments
Mickey-2-Bear.jpg
Started as a Mickey ended up a bear. lol
lavallelee

Re: Mickey Mouse Studies

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:39 pm

A tip of the hat to you! Mickey Mouse is a difficult character to draw. When I started out at hallmark cards I became the official Mickey Mouse artist for the non-greeting card division of the company. I designed a complete birthday party set with Mickey and Donald, Goofy Minnie and Daisy and Pluto. I was sent to Disney Studios in Burbank to take some private lessons with the late Carson Van Osten to get some specialized training. Helped a lot. I appreciate anyone who can draw Mickey well.

You're doing pretty good. Take your time and focus on each drawing a little more. The quality of your sketch is more important than how fast it can be done.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby lavallelee » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 am

That is awesome Charles! I will do more for sure, here is more! I would love any feedback that will help me learn how to make them look on model.
Attachments
Mickey-Study3.jpg
Mickey-Study1.jpg
Another full body Mickey Study
Mickey-Study0.jpg
Some full body Mickey
lavallelee

Postby Car t00n » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:46 pm

Sweet Mickey drawings!!
Car t00n

Postby Charles » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Nice drawings Lavalle. What I see is that Mickey's proportions are a little off. The legs are a bit too long and it's making him look taller and longer than he really is. None the less these are improvements over the first batch. With more practice you'll be an expert Mickey Mouse artist.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby lavallelee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:11 am

Thanks Car t00n and Charles! Mickey is really hard.. I would love to become an expert or even be able to animate him! :shock:
Attachments
Mickey-Study7.jpg
Mickey-Study5.jpg
Mickey-Study4.jpg
lavallelee

Postby lavallelee » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:53 am

Am I allowed to double post? As long as it's new artwork?
Attachments
Mickey-Study10.jpg
Mickey-Study9.jpg
Mickey-Study8.jpg
lavallelee

Postby Charles » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 am

Very good Lavelle! Mickey is still reading as kind of lanky. In that regard he may be slightly off model and there's an issue with his nose. It's a bit too bulbous. The quality of your drawing is improving and it shows!

Daily Z

Charles

Postby lavallelee » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:23 am

Charles wrote:Very good Lavelle! Mickey is still reading as kind of lanky. In that regard he may be slightly off model and there's an issue with his nose. It's a bit too bulbous. The quality of your drawing is improving and it shows!

Thanks Charles! Can you explain what you mean by lanky? Do you mean to tall and stretched out?
Attachments
Mickey-Study12.jpg
Mickey-Study11.jpg
lavallelee

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Yes, that's what I meant. He's appearing too tall and skinny. One of the methods to drawing any character with consistency is staying on model. Mickey Mouse is somewhere around 2 1/2 heads tall. You were drawing him at least 3 heads tall and maybe more in some of the sketches. Also look at the ears in relation to the head and his nose/snout as well.

With each posting you're getting better. Watch the way you're drawing the hands. Give this area the same attention as you would everything else. In the cowboy/lasso drawing check his arms. One is longer than the other. Same with the legs.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby zey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Hey, i like your mickey mouse drawing's especially as they are rough, you've got the character and expressions, :)
zey

Postby lavallelee » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks Zey! Many more to come and a surprise!

Charles wrote:Yes, that's what I meant. He's appearing too tall and skinny. One of the methods to drawing any character with consistency is staying on model. Mickey Mouse is somewhere around 2 1/2 heads tall. You were drawing him at least 3 heads tall and maybe more in some of the sketches. Also look at the ears in relation to the head and his nose/snout as well.

With each posting you're getting better. Watch the way you're drawing the hands. Give this area the same attention as you would everything else. In the cowboy/lasso drawing check his arms. One is longer than the other. Same with the legs.

Thank you for the advice on 2 1/2 heads tall, I now make sure I think of that. I need to practice hands and feet a lot more, they are my worst subjects.. I was wondering if i/we could see some of your Mickey's you have done, I would love to see them & learn from them! :D
Attachments
Mickey-Study15.jpg
Mickey-Study14.jpg
Mickey-Study13.jpg
Batter Up!
lavallelee

Postby lavallelee » Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:04 am

Attachments
mickey00.jpg
lavallelee

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:09 pm

That's cool! You're animating Mickey Mouse! In the video his ears are set a little too forward on top of his head. Move them back a bit more and he'll be closer to model. Nice work Lavelle!

The Mickey Mouse stuff I did is from the very beginning of my career. I think I've got a birthday set around somewhere. It's very rare and a collector's item that was produced by Hallmark Cards. When I find it I'll can of shoot some photos and show you.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Car t00n » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Ya, the ears are a little off, but still, really job on the animation. Hope to see more Mickey anim's soon!
Car t00n

Postby lavallelee » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Car t00n wrote:Ya, the ears are a little off, but still, really job on the animation. Hope to see more Mickey anim's soon!

Thanks Cart00n, I might make another :)

Charles wrote:That's cool! You're animating Mickey Mouse! In the video his ears are set a little too forward on top of his head. Move them back a bit more and he'll be closer to model. Nice work Lavelle!

The Mickey Mouse stuff I did is from the very beginning of my career. I think I've got a birthday set around somewhere. It's very rare and a collector's item that was produced by Hallmark Cards. When I find it I'll can of shoot some photos and show you.

Thanks Charles, I will work on the ears. Mickey was really fun to animate but I still feel, I am missing the illusion of life. I hope to see some of your Mickeys some day :)

Oh, remember my name is spelt Lavalle! lol

Here is some more Mickey Study :D
Attachments
Mickey-Study15.jpg
Mickey-Study14.jpg
lavallelee

Postby Charles » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:15 pm

The reason why I tend to mistype your name is because of a friend. His name is Lavelle and I'm afraid it's become force of habit. Sorry about that Lavalle, I'll make it a point to correctly address you from here on out.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby lavallelee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:16 am

Charles wrote:The reason why I tend to mistype your name is because of a friend. His name is Lavelle and I'm afraid it's become force of habit. Sorry about that Lavalle, I'll make it a point to correctly address you from here on out.

No worries Charles. :)

One day everyone will know how to spell my name.

lavallelee

Postby lavallelee » Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:16 am

I tried a Mickey and Minnie together
Attachments
mickey00.jpg
Mickey-Heads5.jpg
lavallelee

Postby lavallelee » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:06 am

Here is another Mickey study
Attachments