animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Adventures in epigonery....

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Adventures in epigonery....

Postby dholverson » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:47 pm

Here's a quirky project in progress of a promotional item that I need lots of advice on.

I'm trying to do a style mashup pastiche thingie of Moebius and Corben because they knocked me out way back when in those '70s issues of Heavy Metal. If I don't already feel like an epigone enough with an attempted Moebius pastiche on the non-character stuff that doesn't look enough like Moebius for my liking, I'm running into that I really don't have a clue how to make Plumeria, Xerkibub Begonia, and Tubby look very Corbenesque. Does anybody have any ideas on how to get there? Thanks!

Also how to make Xerk's face less creepy and his teeth blend in less into his face.

BTW, I starting to wonder if this whim wasn't all that well conceived and if I tinkering with something beyond the limits of my talent....
Attachments
epigone4.jpg
Xerkibub J. Spage is the one seated....
dholverson

Re: Adventures in epigonery....

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:45 pm

Good to see you back on the forums Doug.

Your artwork has really improved! Very nice work. I see some areas where the values / tonal relationships of the characters get very close to the background and we start to lose the image definition a little but all in all a real step beyond where you were before.

My feeling is that you should strive to be Holverson rather than emulate Moebius or anyone else. Be inspired but be yourself. Also, there's no such thing as beyond the limits of your talent when it comes to what you do. Your talent will take your work to its limits and if you limit yourself to the limits of your talent then you don't grow.

Good luck, thanks for posting. Looking forward to what's next.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for the good and other words. I may write a better reply when I'm not so dog tired.

Until then, this is the (hopefully) second to final on this. So any advice on how to make the characters more Corben-like or the other stuff to look more Moebius-like? If I don't hear anything usable by Tuesday, I'm just running with what I have....
Attachments
epigone15.jpg
Standing, left to right: Plumeria, Begonia, and Tubby....
dholverson

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Why do you want to be a second rate Corben or Moebius when you can be a first rate you. Make it Holverson-like.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:04 pm

This is meant as a one-shot homage, not a life time career. I just wanted it to be the best one-shot possible.

If I wasn't already aware of that pesky second-rate I wouldn't have abused the five-dollar word "epigone" in the title.

At least I'm glad that nobody noticed the Astronut expy hiding in the middle of all this, least I get criticized as a second rate Paul Terry wannabe.... :b

Plus outside of the gimmicky mimicry of a couple of big influences, it's pretty much a Holverson drawing by all the retro, kitschy, and incongruous content. Just ask this frail flower of femininity....
Attachments
flyingsaucerrocknroll.jpg
So is being 6'3' and being able to bench press a Studebaker contrary to being a gamine?
dholverson

Postby Charles » Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:22 am

Really good illustration Doug. Lots of interesting things happening design wise in your own style no less. Thanks for posting your work.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery