animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Peek: Sci Fi Guy! comic book promotional

Showcase your drawings, illustrations, video and media.

Peek: Sci Fi Guy! comic book promotional

Postby dholverson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm trying to revive my lapsed webcomic as a real comic book. I'm in the process of printing out 13 proposals. Can anybody recommend any comic book companies that I could pitch it to that would be a good fit? I think the quirkiness of the material may work against it. Remember the bit on the Simpsons about "real life stories with robots and magic"? I unintentionally created one of those. The market not being what it use to be probably doesn't help either.

Anyway, here's a promotional item. Thanks!

(Don't tell anybody, but I was trying to draw on the more illustrative end of an Al Capp style, but it came out with a more Iwao Takamoto feel. Both were formative influences, BTW.)
Attachments
sfgnewcorefour.jpg
With a name like Sci Fi Guy!, it naturally has a base of operations in 1977 Iowa....
dholverson

Re: Peek: Sci Fi Guy! comic book promotional

Postby dholverson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:59 pm

This is where the tale is going to go to a corrupted future observed when the time travel kicks in the middle of a nostalgic slice of life story....
Attachments
sfgstovisoft.jpg
An earlier version of Zed, which can be hot wired for time travel....
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:02 pm

More of the same corrupted future....
Attachments
sfgleroy&bruno&systavii.jpg
Back in the future when they had reel computers....
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:26 pm

One of the cartoons inside of the cartoon.

"In the future year of 1996 and 7/8, the Noon Star was belatedly discovered by a satellite outer space probe. It was pervious unknown because it only shone in the middle of the day when nobody could see it in the broad dayligtht. The Noon Star orbits the Moon. The planet Plup orbits the Noon Star. Plup, itself, is orbited by its tropical moon, Goobly, the home of the peaceful Catsos. In the year 1999 and 15/16, they were invaded from Earth...."
Attachments
sfgCatsos-Promo.jpg
"It's not like that! She actually finds bliss in Nature's bounty. This morning she picked and ate a bucket full of Portabellas. At least I think those were Portabellas...." [*Polychromatic burp*]
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:30 pm

Then years later, the stupid grownups ruined it by making a live action movie out of it....
Attachments
sfgicaramba.jpg
BTW, they do a mean cover of Pere Ubu's "We Have theTechnology" and Stereolab's "Jenny Ondioline".....
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:37 pm

I'm thinking about submitting to Image, IDW, and Dark Horse. Any potential others? I'm toying with Fantagraphics but I don't think they're a good match. Is Caliber still around?

(Okay, I'll fess up that I dropped out on comics ambitions for the good part of a couple of decades and am a little out of touch because of Heroesworld and other bad politics...)
dholverson

Postby Charles » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:54 pm

Online is where it's at right now for comics especially ones that are starting out. Try looking into comic book communities and sites that feature online comics.

One example that comes to mind is http://www.dummcomics.com

Another is http://indyplanet.com/

Do some research in these areas and you'll get caught up as to what's happening.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Thanks for the links!

The problem with Sci Fi Guy! is that it's a too big and unwieldy of a project to do as a hobby. The first story is going to run 300-400 pages. Doing that as a webcomic comic that I can only do one or two pages a week, and that's with things going my way, means this thing will get done way later to never.

However, if this thing doesn't work out commercially, I may do a pruned down and compromised version of just releasing scripts and associated art on DA and calling it as best as its going to get.
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:35 pm

I want to do more than one story for this. This is a preview of the proposed second story.
Attachments
sfgbinaryboogie.jpg
Sir! The robots are revolting!
They most certainly are...
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:39 pm

Not to mention a third story....
Attachments
sfgtherimen.jpg
The Therimen are considered as shrill and unworldly....
dholverson

Postby dholverson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Not to mention spinning the occasional story based around a second string character.....
Attachments
sfgall-of-god's-mechanical-creatures.jpg
What if Steam Punk didn't come from '00-10's teenie emos discovering brown and brass, but from a lonely '70s farm boy inspired by threshing and antique shows?
dholverson

Postby Charles » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Why not do it as a storybook instead of a comic? You'll get it done sooner and you can go on from there.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby dholverson » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:49 am

Your idea is possible. And interesting. Well, the first story is long winded, as in 350-400 comic pages, and it's sort of a pseudo-juvie written for good ol' boys. It could be done, but it'll take some head scratching to get there....

Anyway, I got seven proposals sent out. They went to Fantagraphics, Image, Antarctic, Archaia, Last Gasp, Top Shelf, and Dark Horse. I've only heard back with only one form rejection which is disheartening. The main reason that I haven't given up is that I still have six proposals to go. Can anybody suggest any publishers to send these to? Thanks!
dholverson

Postby Charles » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:05 pm

With that much content your project is very well suited for a Web based comic. I'm sure that someone will accept your work especially if you're looking to go online with all those pages. And if they don't then you can always do it independently. Get your content out there and build your fan base and community. Now's the time.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to A.N. Gallery