animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

The Animation Guild's new logo... What the !?!?!?!?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

The Animation Guild's new logo... What the !?!?!?!?

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm

Jeez...

Just when I thought they might be getting it together.

Have you seen the new logo for the Animation Guild yet?

Here it is...

GuildNewLogo.jpg

Since when did the animation union go into the mattress spring business?

To top it off, this union which undoubtedly has the among the very best artists in all of the United States of America as its members...

They outsourced this !!!

They outsourced the design of this abominable new logo to a corporate design firm in Rhode Island! :lol:

The Animation Guild, based in Los Angeles County, representing so many absolutely incredible artists...

This union who bitches and moans and gripes and complains about outsourcing animation production... outsourced the design of their own logo! :o

Excuse me while I finish LMAO... :D

Daily Z

Charles

Re: The Animation Guild's new logo... What the !?!?!?!?

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:09 pm

So have they gone from 'TAG' to 'AG' ?

It's amazing that the executive board of the most creatively vibrant body of organized artists in all of North America and perhaps the world can't see just how bad this logo is.

Why couldn't they have had a contest among Guild members for a new design?

Why outsource the design of your own brand to a company in Rhode Island that has nothing to do with the animation union?

Man, this has kicked up some bad feelings again about these guys again. Won't go into it.

But I will say that this design absolutely sucks in my opinion. The way they handled it is an insult to the individuals and the great creative community that comprise the membership of this union.

Would you guys wear this as a t-shirt? A mattress spring that reads 'AG" ?

I wonder if they can get a refund.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:30 pm

The Animation Guild...by really bad design we represent you.
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:58 pm

I can see the meeting now....

Union dude-"Hey fellas, its time for a new logo!"
Some other Union dude-"hey, I've been around artists for a while now. We don't need to hire anyone, lets save some money and I'll handle it."
Other redundant Union dude-"Hey my wife read a magazine that had some design in it."
First Union dude-" Hey lets ask her to do it for exposure!!!"
pause
Whole room-"Awesome idea!!"

Vwalla, new logo!

moral of the story, I'm sexist...thank you...
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:04 pm

I got an email from very important people that I won't mention...cuz they are REALLY important and they don't want to be know...but they heard that their friends said that they heard that the design represents the following...

The big thick "A" represents the ass of IATSE which you can kiss since it's the only representation you're gonna get.

and the little thin "g" represents the guts lacking in the animation unions members....

hence the motivation of the choices made behind this prolific representation of artists and their...representatives.

its official and s***, hence the blue color...which represents official and s*** status...Which up to this point was really only unofficial...but now...it's official...and s***.

Kiss the ass of the gutless.

Sounds like a rock song...HEY!!! dude, there should totally be a rock song theme for this Credible Crest of Crustitude!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:06 pm

SING!
KISS THE ASS OF THE GUTLESS!!!
PULL BACK ON THE SASS AND STRUT LESS!!
KISS THE ASS OF THE GUTLESS!!!
GUTLESS!
STRUT LESS!
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:09 pm

awwww man, I'm being crass...what an ass...a barkin ass watching the parade go by while I'm left in the dust by fearless leaders, strong flags and catchy theme songs! ...wait, I wrote the catchy theme song....and their logo sucks butt....and their leaders...well...lets just pretend I didn't write this last response..someone might use it against me to prove how wrong I am...
SNAKEBITE

Postby SNAKEBITE » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:12 pm

...so lets get back on topic...the guild held a competition at a grade school art class for a new logo and this is what they did...thats awesome. good for them for being proactive and reaching out to the children, exposing them to new exposure they may never have been exposed to...surely this exposes that in which can expose the rest of you nah sayin exposers...ok, that wasn't even a word.my bad
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm

Damn that design sucks!

It says nothing. Absolutely nothing except look at how unimpressive we are.

But... they did go a hip and trendy corporate brand developer in New England cuz there's nobody in the union who can do anything as crappy as this. :lol:

Well, there goes the caravan! 8-)

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:57 am

Who do you think you are, Charles??? A world class designer/animator/teacher or sumtin???....tisk tisk...
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:31 am

Hahaha... :D

You're world class bro.

Life is beautiful. Even with world class ugly logos that incredibly talented animation union members had nothing to do with in designing or suggestion or even having any idea that their union logo brand was being redesigned.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:15 am

Hey...

The 'A' and the 'G' are flipped. Get it? Like flipping animation when it's being drawn!

Still sucks! :D

Gotta watch it. If I'm critical of the decisions that the virtually autonomous biz rep or his executive board make they might take AN's link off of their blog sporting that cool new logo they outsourced to a Rhode Island company to come up with.

Oh wait... :(

Daily Z

Charles

Postby skynet » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm

What I think happened is, they couldn't afford a higher quality logo so they went for something on the low end, but then after they got the actual logo it started falling apart. What you see now is just the "a" because the "t" and the "g" fell off already. The back of the "a" started to fall off but it's still hanging on to the front of the "a" upside down. It will probably fall off soon and then it will be just the front of an "a" which is not so bad. Could be worse.

If the last "a" fell off, then it would be nothing, but then sometimes having or doing nothing is saying a lot.
skynet

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:36 am

Just like the link to AN in 2008, guess what disappeared from the Guild's blog today?

If you said that suck ass design of an outsourced logo design you're right!

They brought back their old logo.

Not only that, but the blog topic introducing that new logo disappeared as well !!! :lol:

Yep, when the heat is on, just sweep it all under the carpet eh Guild execs? Pretend like it never happened! ;)

Well, we've saved that masterpiece of outsourced mediocrity that you pissed your Guild member dues away on you. Blame it on everybody else but yourselves as you always do. It'll be here for all to see and remember.

GuildNewLogo.jpg

Your elections are next year. Guild members, why not get a fresh crop of new faces in there. Take control of YOUR union.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:27 pm

Are you serious?? they took it all down? hahahahahahaha

wow
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Yep. It disappeared completely. No new logo and no new logo topic. Gone just like that!

Their members were leaving comments and it was obvious they not only hated the new logo they also were upset that this was an outsourced job. Now they're leaving questions about it in other topics.

See that? See what happens when their corruption and hypocrisy are exposed?

That's okay cuz we got the proof right here.

You can't hide this Guild execs! You outsourced the design work of the Guild's very own logo without consultation or vote or input of the membership!

This is what a design firm in Rhode Island provided.

This is what the Guild execs accepted!

GuildNewLogo.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby SNAKEBITE » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:20 pm

I wonder how tired everyone is of this game. Because the people are responsible, not their leaders. THeir leaders are doing what they have always done. Always. It will get progressively worse without awareness of self.

It says to me that the people are disconnected...and that frustrates them so they take pop shots at the people they put in charge by their complacent reactions...

Reactions are very important but without proactive behavior it's just children whining that their stomachs hurt because they keep eating sugar for every meal.

Immediate satisfaction is never as satisfying one might think.

They all gave their power away so that others could represent their power.

I believe their leaders when they say you can't go and change law. I believe them when they say its the best they can do. I believe their defeatist attitudes...because I believe thats who these people are...

But what I really believe is the animation community all put them their. That all the weight of responsibility for the things the community bitches about lies on the shoulders of the bitches...ya dig?

But I get it. You really have to have balls, tenacity and no fear to do whats right... if you don't have those, just sit down and keep bitchin...cuz thats what you have created.

We don't need a union to create. We don't need a union to get the word out about our work and we don't need a union to speak on our behalf. It's an outdated idea held together by fear.
SNAKEBITE

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:58 pm

This union is about benefits management. Nothing else. But it can be about something else!

That's the problem with this old, anemic, entrenched, comfortable dead in the head executive board. It's not their age that makes them old. It's their lack of young thinking and new ideas and general attitude.

It's their business rep Steve Hulett who runs the show. Almost all of their blog news and editorials come from him. Nothing happens within this union except for Steve Hulett's will. He doesn't really work for the artists. He works for IATSE. That's his employer not the Guild members.

It's all cow poopoo man.

I know what I saw at a meeting of the Animation Guild the evening of September 30, 2008. When I reported what he said and how he said it and handled it when a grievance was brought to him by a group of artists. I was on the artists side man! I wanted to see their grievance addressed with dignity!

Instead of the artists, the Guild members, it became about Hulett cuz he was exposed. That's when they took AN's link off of their blog. The symbol of our working together and mutual respect and of EVERYTHING AN has done over the years to support the union.

And then they had his side kick flunky Kevin Koch who was president back then assail me and our community on the forums. Remember that? When the president of the Guild who's been a member of AN FOR YEARS came over here with his name calling and tried to discredit us? The whole character assassination strategy kicked in and Hulett used his trolls for years and years to trivialize AN and me and you personally over and over again. They'd watch for a Guild topic on AN that was catching on and then they'd comment anonymously over there trying to make it look like we were not to be taken seriously.

Here ya go everyone. This is what they're hiding from you now.

An outsourced design for YOUR union logo without any consultation or input from you. This was published on the Guild's blog on June 21, 2012 as YOUR OFFICIAL NEW LOGO and has since disappeared from their blog along with the topic.

GuildNewLogo.jpg

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:42 pm

Congratulations are in order!

This is the first time that a topic about the Guild has been featured on AN's homepage.

http://www.animationnation.com

Dedicated Article for this date here.

We get a lot of concentrated traffic through articles on the homepage. Let's give everyone a look at the outsourced logo that disappeared.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 pm

Something else I'm noticing about this design guys. Let's do some further analysis.

GuildNewLogo2.jpg
GuildNewLogo2.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 1911 times

To begin with, what would prompt a group of the most talented artists in the world, the union of animation artists in Los Angeles, to consent to something like this?

Well, they didn't consent. It wasn't designed by any animation union artist as well. Nothing would prompt them to come up with this in the first place. No self respecting artist in the Guild would ever come up with something this bad.

This was an outsourced job.

The lower case lettering throughout the design makes the union look weak and of no consequence.

What do the letters look like? They remind me of typewriter letters.

Today it's word processing, but traditionally who uses typewriters?

Writers.

This is a logo more suitable for writers.

And who do we know who's a writer among the Guild's execs?

Their business rep Steve Hulett.

Writers control the animation union. Not animation artists. Writers have their own Guild. It's called The Writers Guild. Why are writers controlling a union for animation artists?

That's a writers logo not an artists logo. Writers have more influence in the animation union than animation artists do.

There's an election coming up next year Guild members. Maybe it's time for a change. You've had the same business rep dumbing you down since the 1980s. Don't you think that's long enough? Don't you think it's time for a change? Don't you think it's time for the ANIMATION ARTISTS of the industry to take control of the ANIMATION UNION of this industry?

Why not step up to the plate and take the reigns. You need a strong president and a strong executive board that puts the ARTISTS OF THIS BUSINESS FIRST.

You've got a good thing going with the Guild but you're being bamboozled. It's happening because of your longstanding apathy and your reluctance to confront the situation.

I hope someday you'll find the motivation to take back your own union.

Daily Z

Charles

Next

Return to General Discussion