animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

The story of the ‘secret’ room at Pixar

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

The story of the ‘secret’ room at Pixar

Postby skynet » Sat May 19, 2012 4:40 pm

Yeah, we heard about it.

----------------------------------------------

Truthfully, I thought everyone knew about the ‘Lucky 7 Lounge’. It’s a secret room at Pixar that’s really not so secret now. But I took a quick poll of some friends and coworkers and drew a blank, so here goes.

It was a nook, really, created by the shape of the building around it and the needs of the air conditioning system when the company’s new headquarters were built. Animator Andrew Gordon discovered it while investigating a human-sized hatch in the back wall of his new office. After finding that the tunnel ended in a ‘lost space’, he decided to start decorating.

In this clip from the Toy Story 3 bonus features, shared by Scott Myers at The Blacklist, Gordon details the discovery and decoration of the room. He also goes into how it was found by Pixar Director Andrew Stanton and, eventually, CEO Steve Jobs, who thought it was super cool:

Read More: The story of the ‘secret’ room at Pixar, frequented by Steve Jobs and many other celebrities
skynet

Re: The story of the ‘secret’ room at Pixar

Postby Charles » Sat May 19, 2012 7:25 pm

Great story, thanks for posting the video. This is very similar to the tale of another secret room I had the privilege of spending time if the secret room of a local studio here in the Burbank area, and have extensive photos as well, but I'd lose my secret membership if I disclosed any info,

There's a series of animated videos concerning life at Pixar. Let's build the topic out further with some of these.

Here's an interesting one that's pretty funny. The clean shave / hair regrowth contest they had over there...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Sun May 20, 2012 1:16 pm

You look at what PIXAR achieves and you see the work environment and you just want to live there.
Greg B

Postby Charles » Sun May 20, 2012 11:29 pm

Here's another one. A story from the time before they had their custom designed building, when they worked out of a warehouse...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Thu May 24, 2012 8:28 am

This is the story of most amazing room at Pixar. Their cereal bar...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Sun May 27, 2012 10:35 pm

A 'handy' lesson as to how Pixar 'handled' logistic story problems on Cars...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed May 30, 2012 1:27 am

More Pixar stories...

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion