animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Is Disney 2D feature Production"Dead" Again?

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Is Disney 2D feature Production"Dead" Again?

Postby Miracle » Sat May 12, 2012 7:47 pm

I have asked this question again and again in web surfing and can't seem to find the absolute(or even rumored) answer.
I assume that with Andreus Deja and Glen Keane ,long time Disney 2D cornerstones, departing Disney, and no real slate of anything 2D on the Googled horizon, that means something.
Sure, Disney animation such as (CG) "Wreck-It-Ralph" is nearly in the can and ready to release. I heard the long-in-development "Ice Princess"(or whatever it's newest name may be) is also going forward, now also in CG.
I hear nothing about any follow-up to their 2D slate since the poorly performing box-office of the re-booted "Winnie The Pooh"came and went.Before that, the Frog Princess seemed to be a nice little movie but , in my strong opinion was doomed to "ho-hum-ness" when the credits rolled and no one had a lump in their throats, a tear in their eyes, or even the faintest recollection of any tunes(their biggest problem) on their lips leaving the theatre.
Frankly, when I heard the repeated Disney promo-tagline of pre-Frog-publicity saying From the same guys(Musker and Clements) who brought you "Aladdin" and "The Little Mermaid"that rang so hollow. What I instantly heard between that over-hype was From the same guys who brought you "Treasure Planet","Hercules" and the wish-to-forgettable,"Home On The Range" trifector 2D flopfest.
If there really is no further slate of new 2D features coming from Disney, who could possibly blame them. I don't know if the management or the artists were the ones chiefly responsible for the sub-classic story telling, but it really does not matter. The result is that due to these 2D story telling disasters(at least by the measure of Beauty And The Beast or The Lion King standards)the bean counters can confidently say that 3D and computer-realistic animation is what sells and(to their calculations) the public doesn't want 2D anymore.
The shame of this previous statement is that this mindset is just a load of hogwash! The reality is that if Pixar's "UP" were to have been rendered in 2D using even non-moving pictures it would have been a success. I am repeating the obvious in saying that STORY IS KING and whatever the reason for story-telling deficencies is irrelevant to the ticket-buying public. They don't care who messed-up, they just won't go see that movie a second(or third, or fourth) time which is crucial to any film's bottom line.
I watched "Mary Poppins"(partially animated-I know) the other day for the umpteenth time and still get teary-eyed at the end. I Watched 'Beauty And The Beast" 2 weeks ago and wondered why they don't make them like that today. If Beauty were released today, in 2D it would be a smash hit all over again.If ever there is to be a rebirth in 2D, I have come to internalize one main probability in this rebirth. We all thought the second coming of Walt was upon 2D when John Lassetter became chief creative officer of Disney. Let's admit it. Whatever he did or did not do, HE failed to make the difference. "Frog" and "Pooh" where under his watch(so was "Cars 3" but let's not go there this time).
So the main probability idea is this. A re-birth of 2D may never come from Disney. With the poor performances of 2D's latest outings, no investor who knows the numbers will likely take a chance on financing 2D. I believe the re-birth will therefore need to happen by the hand of someone in the independent field. The enormous financial burden it takes to produce another "Lion King" makes that feat a formidable one. What this animation industry needs to bring 2D movies back is a bonafide super-hit on the scale of a "Toy Story" breakthrough film.
Maybe all of this prognosticating is folly if someone , ANYONE could just tell me is Disney 2D feature production "dead" again?

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle Studios
Miracle

Re: Is Disney 2D feature Production"Dead" Again?

Postby LongyTV » Sun May 13, 2012 2:17 am

Hi Tom,

I think 2D animation has become what Claymation animation used to be when most animated feature films used to be 2D.

3D has become main medium of choice for feature animation production these days. I guess new talent entering the industry gravitates towards the medium which is widely acceptable and lucrative at the time. This applies to animators, writers, Story Board artists everybody. 3D happens to be attracting the best stories and the talent to execute those stories, at the time. And 2D is left behind with unexciting stuff such as 'Frog Princess' and 'Home on the range' etc.

2D animation is definitely dead in longer format, although it's quite alive in Television and short films.

LongyTV,
http://longy.tv/
LongyTV

Postby Miracle » Sun May 13, 2012 5:20 am

Yes LongyTV, you hit the mark when saying that everyone seems to gravitate towards the predominent movie styles of the time.But what has happened here is something not entirely like that of claymation.

In claymation, you never really had the advent of having a long history of many films being done in that style, then enjoy that style,then have it fall out of vogue. Then having that style live-on only in shorter formats. This is something entirely new. 2D was used on all of the classics and accepted as THE art form of choice. 2D holds a special place in the public;'s hearts and that special place has not "moved-on" to 3D or claymation. The public just has not been given a real choice of seeing another blockbuster "Lion King", or "Aladdin".

Recently, "Lion King" was re-released in 3D. The box office was very strong all over again! Was that because there was a built-in nostalgia factor? Was that because it was re-done in 3D and everyone is just wanting to get back onto that bandwagon? There is a good measure of truth to both of those thoughts, but I don't think 3D is ever going to take place of story. Think of this. If you were to take the original "Wizard Of Oz" and re-release it in any format, I think folks would go see it on a big screen. If they released it in 3D, that would get more attention and bring something new to the table so it would bring bigger crowds. If you were to re-release "Home On The Range", in 3D, even add smell-a-vision, or even give out free popcorn to everyone, those theatre seats would still be pretty empty.

That's because, the multi-plexers might first go to "Range", get the popcorn, then head to "The Avengers" A VERY good story!Does Avengers mean that now all 3D CG movies are coming to an end because they must now be replaced by live-action/CG super hero movies?
Miracle

Postby Charles » Mon May 14, 2012 3:10 pm

Hey there Tom.

I'm not aware of any traditionally animated project that happening at Disney Studios at the moment, or if anything along those lines is planned. Disney's doing pretty good right now with Pixar, Marvel, their CG features and will likely pick up traditional hand drawn 2D content through a different studio to distribute, or simply outsource the project it if move forward with anything. It doesn't seem to be a big priority with anyone right now. In fact, you're about the most outspoken advocate for traditional animation production that I've heard from lately.

I see a haven for traditional hand drawn animation at studios outside of the US. France is doing some really nice work and I don't think we'll see the art fade away over there any time soon. There's also hand drawn content being done in other countries around the globe as well, but we probably won't be seeing anything from Disney for a long time to come if at all.

It has to be done independently.

And you are correct. I agree with you that story is at the heart of a film's success. It doesn't matter if it's hand drawn or CG.

The reason why John Lasseter is not too keen on 2D animation, from purely speculation on my part, is that he was keen on CG from its very earliest days and even got dismissed from Disney in the early 1980s because of his efforts to pioneer the artform and technology. Why should he be committed to 2D hand drawn content on a feature scale? It would only be a gratuitous move on his part and something I don't see him fighting passionately for. His interest has always been with what the computer can do.

For 2D to revive, succeed, move forward, etc, it has to come from sources outside of the Hollywood system. This town isn't interested in producing hand drawn features. Too many advantages in CGI.

Don't give up the ship I say. The core of my school's program is dedicated to hand drawn content. Even though we're focused on pre-production design and development, there's a continuing and even growing interest in what we're teaching and students are coming to us for that very reason. To get their traditional skills in gear.

Who knows, maybe someday we'll be animating a feature film by hand over here. Time will reveal what the fates have in store.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby jeffnevins » Tue May 15, 2012 7:14 am

The last movie I saw in the theatre was Frog, over two years ago.

Thanks for the reminder on Pooh. I should look that up on DVD.

I look forward to an indie 2D feature someday.

Indie 2D video games such as Skullgirls are a reality, which is always a welcome surprise.
jeffnevins

Postby Charles » Tue May 15, 2012 3:52 pm

Disney's CEO recently cashed in more than $81 million worth of stock options after the release of 'The Avengers'. With the crazy amount of money that Disney is making, with the company's stock at an all time high, and without a 2D animated feature offering, what motivation do they have to continue with 2D?

And then again, if they're making crazy cash, then why not keep their 2D animation tradition going?

It's akin to throwing your mother out on the street when she's no longer useful. Corporatism is profitable for the corporation, but it can also be perverse.

We'll have to look elsewhere to see this great art continue.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Thu May 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Sorry it took a while to reply. I am (actually now, as I type this)in Hollywood and had a few issues getting logged onto this site.

In response to Charles and your comments about Lasetter, I seem to recall that he expressed that he wanted to see 2D survive and thrive and he was going to help make that happen. Again, as I recall, he was going to make sure that the story was solid for these 2D films.

As far as story goes, both Frog and Pooh were good stories, just not a re-capture of the Disney Magical feelings one gets when viewing Disney's best (most profitable in their times of original release) moives. Beauty, Aladdin, Snow White,Dumbo,Peter Pan, Cinderella, and Lion King were all big money-makers right out of the gate.

Folks think of other Disney movies like Alice In Wonderland(the original, not the recent Burton version), Fantasia, even Sleeping Beauty were great moives. Today these are classics but in their day, they were box-office flops.

Then there is another catagory of flops during their box office which are destined(likely) to remain flops forever.Movies like The Black Cauldren, Treasure Planet, Home On The Range, and Atlantis.

Then there is the remaining Disney movie catagory of being in the middle between hit and flop. These movies had some petty nice pieces(maybe a bit of music, or some great animation action or memorble character or part of the story), but did not make an impact as being a complete hit movie. This includes such films as Robin Hood, The Rescuers, Sword and the Stone,The Great Mouse Detective, Pocahontis, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, and Brother Bear.

If story is the main issue that separates "good" from "greatness", I would further that thought by adding the greatest Disney (a few of those are mentioned above)have key parts of the story that pull hard at the emotions (tear-ducts). Dumbo's separation from his Mother, Beauty finaly falling in love with Beast, just as he dies, and Mufassa being killed and having Simba be blamed for the death only to find Simba become the hero when he faces his past.

You might say that a young girl taking her Father's place in a war to spare her Father's life is as heady as the other examples, but Mulan also did the other cardinal sin of attaining greatness. The movie did not go out on a highest-possible note in the final scene. The audience would have loved to see the male romantic interest return to link-up with the heroine and have both kiss and dance into the sunset. Instead, the hero comes back, they get romantic, then the story tried to top that with having the little dragon sidekick try to make warm-fuzzies with the heroine. Nice but NOT a topper to leave you on a high note.

If Lasetter and the Pixar gang would have been truly plugged-in to the 2D story telling, Pooh would have had some real issue face them such as the day when Christoper Robin simply stopped coming to the Hundred Acre Woods because he had outgrown the characters(his toys) and they would have been promised to one day return as they are given to Robin's own kids one day(shades of Toy Story 3). Or, one of the characters would fall in love or move-away or change in some significant way. Anything to tug the heartstrings and bring a tear.Perhaps they could have explored how the real life of Robin(outside of his play-time) affects the animals and have them come into Robin's real life of going to school and playing with friends and such(shades of Enchanted).

Had the story been better for Frog or Pooh, I think we would still be seeing 2D today. Does anyone else have an opinion as to what ingredients separate "good" from"greatness"?

It may be that since nobody cn name any Disney 2D in production that they have AGAIN, indeed stopped 2D at Disney Does anyone know of any 2D movies from the United States that are in production? What are all of the many 2D animators doing today? Retired or moved-on to CG animation perhaps.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby LongyTV » Mon May 21, 2012 12:00 am

Hello ANers,

I would like to shed some light on new kind of 2D animation we are doing here in India.

Nowadays animation done in Flash and other similar software is being referred as 2D animation in India. We even have a feature film releasing soon which has been animated entirely in Flash. You can see the trailer here:

http://youtu.be/rdxyzJCHQk4

The final product, after compositing and visual fx looks almost like Hand drawn 2D animation. There are also a couple of shows on TV which are done this way.

Flash is faster and economical then both Hand drawn 2D animation and CG 3D animation. Flash and other similar software are being heavily used in animation for Television.

Do have a look at the trailer and give your opinion. What do you guys think? Can animation produced in Flash or similar software be termed as '2D Animation'.

Best,
Atish.
LongyTV

Postby Charles » Mon May 21, 2012 10:14 am

That's a great looking trailer. Thanks for posting it here LongyTV. I'm going to feature it on AN's homepage later today. Let's embed it in the meantime for all to see.

Your comments about where 2D is heading and what's happening with it are correct of course. The technology is making it possible t create 2D cartoons much faster and with smaller groups of artists than before. Also, similar to what's done with 3D CGI, it's now possible to develop assets. With CG this was always a big advantage over hand drawn 2D. Now artists who create 2D are able to do the same thing. Develop reusable elements that can be utilized again in production.

Another aspect concerning the phasing out of 2D features at Disney and other places, but especially at Disney, is the lack of leadership there's been over the issue among the artists who are involved with 2D. I say this with respect of course and my comments are not intended to be anything less than that. Still, when you look back at the last generation of animation greats at the studios, you don't see much entrepreneurship do you?

Much has been made about Glen Keane's departure from Disney, among other notable talents who are not there any longer. When I look at these artists, I see perpetual employees. I don't see any of them or at best very few of them going out to do something on their own. They been coddled and pampered within the studio system for many years and nothing much has happened regarding their careers outside of their studio jobs.

The 2D production preservation effort is coming from sources other than the modern day animation greats in the Hollywood studio system. If the legendary artists aren't leading in the effort to keep 2D going, it's coming from other individuals and groups aided by technology, with a high degree of that effort coming from international sources in the feature film realm, along with a lot of activity in Web oriented content, student films, etc. TV is also doing a good job of keeping 2D going.

We can't look to the Hollywood studios to keep 2D features alive, or even to the Hollywood studio employee artists per se. At least at this point in time. Unless someone like Glen Keane or Andreas Deja start their own production, in the US we'll see more activity from places like Wisconsin and Tom Hignite, or Calabash Studios in Chicago which does a lot of commercial work, or perhaps studios in New York City and else where.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Mon May 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Hello Atish,
I am impressed with your flash animation trailer and agree that it comes very close to the look of traditional hand drawn 2D! Perhaps we should coorespond off-line from the forum.

How many 2D animation features are playing a year in India or your area of the World? Is CGI still the main animation technique used in your part of the World?

Thanks Charles for your vote of confidence that someday we here at miracle Studios may be able to help America's(lack of) 2D feature animation situation.

By the by, my question to the animation community still stands,(Mr. Fun, are you still out there?)does anyone know what is happening with 2D at Disney in very recent days?
Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby LongyTV » Wed May 23, 2012 7:38 am

Hello ANers,

Firstly, Charles, Thanks a lot for embedding the trailer in the forum and also featuring it on the homepage.

Charles, I completely agree with you about the lack of leadership and entrepreneurship from the top rank Disney animators like Glen Keane, Andreas Deja. After all it was Leadership of ex-Disney animator John Lasseter, which helped in establishin 3D as a dominant medium of storytelling in feature animation.

I heard about a Disney animator called James Baxtor starting his own set up sometime back, but I wonder what's up with him now? I guess more intiative, drive and hunger is required to bring back 2D in the mainstream of feature animation and that's gonna come from independent setups outside Disney.

Tom, we don't have that many 2D animation features playing in a year in India. In fact we haven't had a feature film release in India in a couple of years. However this year, there are three animated features hitting the screen out of which one is hand drawn 2D, one (Krishna aur Kansa) is Flash 2D and one is CG generated 3D but interestingly it's rendered to look like it's 2D.

In answer to your question 'Is CGI still the main animation technique used in your part of the World?' I would say yes. And if it is not 3D then it's Flash 2D.

One of the sad outcome of 3D development is that there are no 2D animators to be found anymore. Most have shifted to 3D and remaining few are doing Flash, and there are no new animators coming out of schools who can do 2D animation. In fact there are no jobs to be had in 2D anymore.

Tom, I would love to correspond offline from the forum. You can write to me at atishtripathi@gmail.com.

Look forward to hear from you.

Atish
(LongyTV)
LongyTV

Postby Miracle » Wed May 23, 2012 7:17 pm

I had a few private communications from folks who would really know about the whole Is Disney Dead Again subject. They all seem to be in agreement that apparently Disney 2D features are in fact finished. I will always add...FOR NOW, but let's just say, apparently, there are no plans for the foreseeable future to do more Dsieny 2D features. Apparently, Disney has compared the relative poor box office of their latest Pooh and Frog features , to the box office of the latest Pixar (and other studios)CGI animated features and concluded that 2D is not as profitable as CGI/3D. So why do any more?

When I began this thread, I had this notion that things were non-existant for Disney 2D features, but I did not really know that for sure. I am always open to any one(and eager to hear) who has different information on the subject, but it now seems clear to me.

Other comments in this thread about India's new upcoming 2D feature were great bits of information and I thank you for them. I will surely try contacting the originator of that comment.

I am sad because I feel that Disney is making an error in turning away from the art form which is their unique history and distinct heritage. If I had never gone to see Beauty And The Beast with my 2 young boys, I would not be on the current path I am on today. Therefore, in a way, the Disney legacy of 2D features has(hopefully) not died but may live-on through films from folks like me who have been inspired by these classic Disney films.

From a purely business standpoint, in a strange way, knowing that no major studio is likely to produce an old fashioned 2D throw-back feature propels me. Many of you know that I have been on a long journey to produce just such a feature. If and when that day finally comes that my film is finished and begins showing in film festivals I will be likely standing alone in having produced something that has little competition. That is not a bad thing.

Today, I recieved (now) nearly 50 inquiries from 2D artists(mostly background artists) who would like to be a part of my venture. To me , that indicates a strong labor base of (unused) talent is out there and very available to my needs to help produce the best 2D film possible. Maybe I am in the right place at the right time.

It is most bittersweet to know that the giant of 2D features is(for now) no more, but yet I am in the midst of a similar 2D production myself.

Thank you all for the information.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby Charles » Sun May 27, 2012 11:41 am

If you're looking for the future of Disney's 2D animation then look to India.

This film opened this weekend. It's called "Arjun: The Warrior Prince" and it was produced at Disney India. Here's the trailer, and you can find the forum topic here... viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3559

This looks to be a very high quality film. Disney makes a mature, dynamic, compelling, action packed film in India for India, but when it comes to 2D at their own studio here in Burbank, it's 'Princess and the Frog' and 'Winnie the Pooh'.

They put a great production design talent like Paul Felix on Winnie the Pooh.

Studio animators here in the west would love to work on something like Arjun. Instead, they get princess movies and Winie the Pooh.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Semaj » Mon May 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Gee, we thought everybody missed hand-drawn animation. But not enough people came to see The Princess and the Frog or Winnie the Pooh.

This is probably what Disney is thinking nowadays when people ask them why they're not making hand-drawn (in America) anymore.

They used nostalgia as a major selling point for both Princess and Pooh. And when Princess was coming up, I thought they had a real chance at success. I mean, comparing their latest fairy tale to Disney's past greats worked well for The Little Mermaid following a 30-year wait.

I don't think a Pooh reboot was all that necessary, as good as the film was. And clearly, the lot of the public seemed to think so. I heard it was the official sequel to The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, but giving it such a plain title doesn't do much to clear the confusion that might've already resulted from the DTV movies, some of which did creep into theatres.

Between these films of course was Tangled, a film that had weathered a long(er than usual) production history, several major re-writes, a directorial change, as well as a last-minute title change and a marketing campaign very different from Disney films. Financially, this CGI film became Disney's biggest animated success in about a decade.

I really don't know. Last September's re-release of The Lion King is proof that people are not tired of Disney hand-drawn animation by itself. But as much as cartoon purists hate it, CGI has become the new mainstream preference for both industry executives and audiences, and I'm guessing nowadays, hand-drawn would have to be doing bold things, like the few examples in this thread, in order to keep up with changing tastes.

Disney should know from their own history that the nostalgia card can only take them so far.
Semaj

Postby Miracle » Wed May 30, 2012 7:13 pm

Hello Semaj,

You sound like you speak from an insiders perspective.

I want to address the matter of the 2 features Frog and Pooh. You say that you had high hopes for Frog. So did I and most of the animation-loving world.

On Frog, I eagerly went to the theatre(as did many on the opening weekend) but left that theatre feeling "flat". Many of the ingredients were there but , unfortunately, the music was not. The teenager treatment of the big-butt scene was out of it's realm. The voodo aspect was too heavy handed for younger audiences. On the music, I could not remember a single song. I heard some folks in the business recall the villian's song, but I usually leave a good movie wanting to go and buy the soundtrack. Not any thought of that here.What the Disney brass was probably thinking was that Randy Newman won an oscar for doing music in a CGI movie. I will talk CGI and music later. Menken however won an Oscar for 2D music hits galore. When I heard that menken was not in the show, my expectations were lowered.

It is sort of like imagining Beauty And The Beast if it had had poor music. As great as the story, acting, and animation might have been without the music, that show would not have become the hit it became. What if that movie had Danny Elfman doing the score. This would not have worked either. Fantasy 2D seems to dictate Broadway scores. Menken does Broadway best. The same goes for the Lion King, and when you think of an under-performing film like Pocahontis, the story was so poor(third act was doomed from the start)that the only thing that kept it from being a miserable flop was the few good songs that became hits.

As for the new Pooh, I did not understand the many excellent reviews? Using my wife as a judge,(she rarely goes to movies but wanted to see Pooh), she left the theatre saying that she thought the movie was like sitting through a very long Saturday morning cartoon. We both almost fell asleep mid-movie. My wife and I WANTED to like this film. I think this same feeling might have been in the minds of those reviewers.Nostalgia only takes you to a movie once. Multiple repeat showings are what is needed to become a blockbuster! The animation was great but the story lacked the appeal of the innocent first Honey Tree movie shorts. Again,in the new Pooh, the music was sub-par and the selection of singer was not the right choice.New age[/i(or whatever that was supposed to be)] is not Pooh.

It is so hard to beat that first movie and those short, memorable Sherman Brother's songs.Trying to capture and/or top the original is like trying to capture and/or top Snow White. Why try? Classics like the original Pooh [i]live in our hearts
and therefore the bar is too high.

I heard that one of the reasonings given for doing Pooh was the fairly good performance of The Tigger Movie. The Sherman Brother's came back to help on that musical score too as I recall.

The common thread is that most of the greatest 2D animated movies revolved around a great musical score. Think about it. What is one thing that 2D can do better than CGI (to date)? Musical song and dance numbers. In my wildest dreams I can not imagine Cars or Toy Story Characters doing a dance number as effectively as I can see Cinderella in 2d singing a song.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby Johan » Sat May 25, 2013 10:24 pm

Though Animation is a commercial art for Feature Studios, it is truly a High Art when such talents as those Disney Features had as a team are brought together. Their films educate, archive knowledge and help to design the future of our society. Animation is an art form that requires pooling together the talents of every High Art in society to create the singular High Art of the Animated Feature Film (2D and/or 3D). It is hard to hold any studio responsible for such high ideals as the High Arts, being it is business and a commercial art, Disney did achieve High Art during it’s renaissance. Disney did this because of the choices made by the collaboration of incredible talent brought together at the time. We, the artists, felt responsibility for our creations and a love for the art and those people who enjoy it. I and my amazing wife, Norma, had the incredible privilege of being part of the legend. The legend was the team, the amazing pool of creators we belonged too. To us, they are family. Whether we got along or not doesn’t matter because we all wanted the same thing. We wanted to achieve greatness in our art. We loved the same things and decades later we still love the same things. We are family. The journey of Beauty and the Beast, Alladdin, Lion King, etc. etc. was historic to our art form but what was most amazing was the legendary team we were. The amazing talent working and struggling through the trenches of production, accomplishing the seemingly impossible, “Building Dreams”.

I met my wife at Disney. We were married during the production of Beauty and the Beast. I was an artist on The Beast and she was an artist being used by The Bell team at the time. While she was drawing Bell and I was drawing The Beast, we worked in a building called The Heart Building. Teams, Dreams …Disney… made our future.

It is sad to see the Traditional Animation team broken up and some may consider it the loss of a legend. I don’t see it quite that way. You see our art form is a fine balance of funding/budget, quality and time. Most think of it as just an issue of quality. Recognizing that the team we were at Disney was a pool of some of the best talent in the world, I also realize how important it is to seed the world with the best to, in fact, raise the art form of animation as a whole. This is actually what is happening now as a result of Disney releasing so much of their talent. We are now seeing a great thing happen though it may feel, to some, like the rose flowers have been cut off the plant. Disney has always been masterful in bringing the most incredible talents together to create, as a business and commercial art, some of the most lasting High Art Animations in world history. It is very likely they will continue to do so no matter what path animation as an art form takes in the future. They will build legendary teams and those individuals will spread the knowledge and art throughout the world. As they do so, new legendary teams will form in other places as funding is raised. This is the miracle of our business and the wonder of animation. To continue having gorgeous flowers, the rose must be trimmed, nurtured, and cared for, and you must even dump some manure on them otherwise it’s just a thorn bush. The world of animation is a multitude of colors and tones when it grows everywhere. 2D animation will never die but rather take root in different forms. If the world truly wants the old art style of 2D animation, funding will come together for it at some amazing studio and audiences will flock to the films again. The art must evolve with the audience though just as the audience evolves with the art.

The artists of Disney are legends because the art form is legendary. Having been granted the privilege of being part of the team during those legendary times has been an honor, a wonder, an incredible journey and one of the most amazing parts of my life so far. My best wishes to every artist and creative talent of Disney who are part of molding our world. You are the Legend. The artists of all Feature Studios like those I’ve worked for; Sullivan Bluth, Kroyer, Amblimation, etc. ect. are the true legends. We build the dreams that build the world. Hope grows in the heart of art.

Johan Klingler
http://www.linkedin.com/in/johanklingler
Johan

Postby Miracle » Mon May 27, 2013 8:14 am

Dear Johan,
I was suprised to see this topic from last year revived with your fresh and interesting input. Thank you for adding some solid and hearfelt perspective to a subject that has been intrigal to the last 8 years of my life as we continue to slowly plod-along creating the first indie full lenght 2D feature film rooted in the traditions of the Disney classics.
Even in our small Wisconsin micro-studio setting, your sentiments apply. It is all about the team effort and the many talents that need to come together to make such a film a reality. I hope your prediction of the art form coming-back from an unkown studio may also someday apply to our heartfelt efforts.
Thanks for your artistic efforts in the making of Beauty And The Beast. While I saw many of the Disney classics in my childhood, seeing this singular movie in a theatre with my 2 young boys, was a key incident which has spurred me on to try to create my own 2D feature film. Your work is a part of the birth of what we have been toiling with for so very long, and is a big part of the inspiration to continue pressing-on each day.
Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby Charles » Fri May 31, 2013 12:17 am

This has to be the all time high for topic views of any subject posted on the forums since we went to a new format three years ago.

It's at 16,039 as of this writing on May 31 2013.

Thanks for your insightful comments Johan and everyone else who participated.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:08 pm

Hello Animation Nationers,
Charles, with over 16,000 visits to read the thread on this posting, I wonder how such a thing happens? Do visitors just search for 2D and this is the first subject that pops-up due to number of times viewed?
Perhaps this is not the place to post this next "off-shoot" subject, but our spider web of artists working on our 2D reature film are nearing the point of completion/releasing another substantial film clip form our (continually) in-production film project.
If everyone reading this will "circle" the date of Friday June 28th by 9pm Central Standard time, with your cooperation Charles, Animation Nation will be the very first place to premeire a new 2:50 second clip that will show you a glimpse of what we have been up to here, to(in our own small way) help bring-back the art of traditional hand-drawn animation. On the following Saturday, June 29, we will also premiere this clip on another Traditional Animation website as well.
This clip will be introduced with a 3 to 4 minute vido update of our efforts to let the animation community know what we have been up to and where we are hoping to go.
I want to thank the Animation Nation moderator Charles, for his support of our efforts over the years. Through the posts on this site, I have witnessed the ebb and tide of 2D and, if this thread's numbers are any indication, I am thrilled at the continued interest in the American original artform of 2D animation.
Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle Studios
Richfield, Wisconsin
Miracle

Postby Charles » Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:36 am

Looking forward to the new footage Tom! It will be a thrill and an honor to feature it on AN first.

Daily Z

Charles

Next

Return to General Discussion