animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

Miracle Studios update

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

Miracle Studios update

Postby Miracle » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:27 pm

Hello Animation Nationers,

If you would like to see what we have been up to in the last MANY months of developing our 2D animated project, we have "some" new(and some old) content on our hignitesmiraclestudios.com website.

Best wishes and blessings to all,

Tom Hignite

P.S. Tim and Troy are not at our Wisconsin studio. Troy is a sucessful and beloved animation teacher in Savanah GA and Tim is with his wonderful family in Orlando Florida and seemed happy when we last met/lunched last month.
Miracle

Re: Miracle Studios update

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 pm

Hey Tom, here's a direct link to your site.

http://www.hignitesmiraclestudios.com

The backgrounds are looking very nice. Good production quality and the animation I've seen so far is smooth. Do you have anything up on YouTube?

Good luck with the Miracle Mouse cartoon, wishing you the best in your efforts to bring it to completion.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:03 pm

Thanks for the comments Charles,
No I do not have anything related to Miracle Mouse on YouTube although I have considered putting our current 27 minute (condensed version of our feature, used to test audiences of various ages from grade schoolers to pros and students of the Milwaukee animation group/club)animatic onto You Tube, but did not want to spoil letting the whole story be revealed early.

The backgrounds were painted(are still being painted as we go) by the talented Micheal Lowerey. The layouts for the backgrounds you see in our short sizzle-reel animatic were done by my hand with one being done by our staffer Philo Barnhart.

I did the boards and Philo did most all of the finished character art for the animatic. We are still tweaking the sounds(too much reverb on some scenes of our antagonist, for one example).

Next week , we are scheduled to have yet another voice session with main characters on an ISBN line from LA.

Comments good or bad are welcomed as we are trying to improve the project with every pass.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
P.S. Keep up the good work Charles!
Miracle

Postby Charles » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:35 pm

Thank you Tom. If you were to upload the promotional video you have featured on your site on either YouTube or Vimeo it can be embedded on the forums and I can showcase what you're doing on AN's homepage.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:44 pm

THanks Charles,
I instructed my web person to get us on YouTube with our Sizzle Reel and he is doing so. I will let you know when it gets done.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle Studios
Miracle

Postby Miracle » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:58 pm

Hello again All,

Charles, the Miracle Mouse "sizzle reel" is now posted to YouTube. It can be found under MIRACLE MOUSE NEW 2D ANIMATED MOVIE.
I have heard from several of you about the posting and one person/artist requested I also include my private direct e-mail address. It is jayseeach@hotmail.com.
For those of you who have heard our music tracks, I would be interested in what you think of them, good or not. This coming week, we are re-voicing some of our singing with our main character voices.

Thank you Charles and all for your comments and such.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle Studios
Miracle

Postby Charles » Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:38 pm

Great! Now we can do something with it...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:08 pm

Hello all,
(Charles, if you prefer I start a new thread on this "off-shoot" subject, let me know)
In 2011, we produced what I refer to as our 27 minute ROUGH animatic for our feature 2D film,of Miracle Mouse. I believe most animatics are made for the animation staff to view and better understand what does and does not work. I am not sure if anyone out their has ever seen an animatic done in such a way that it is polished enough to show to a public(non-animation savy) audience? If so, can you give me some examples?
The bigger question I am asking is if any of you have ever seen a fully colored-type (most frames look like they came from a finished movie but they have very limited movements/camera moves) animatic? I am asking because this is what we tried to do on our first 27 minute version and , as I thought about it, I have seen many rough pencil animatics(shots of story panels with a scratch soundtrack) but the only real good such polished animatic I am recalling is the old Disney "Baby Weems" bit they did in Reluctant Dragon back in the 50's.
If there are more such fully colored(but limited movement) animatics out there, I would love to see them. If you are looking for an example fo what I mean, our video sizzle-reel we are playing on our site hignitesmiraclestudios or (now, thanks to Charles suggestion) on You Tube, shows a little section of our animatic where our antagonist is chasing the ducks off his dock.Are we doing something rare or common?
The last question on fully rendered(I guess tht is what you could call what we tried to do) animatics is, is there a venue where such limited animations could be shown,enjoyed, and turn a profit without needing the full animation before it could go public?
Why is no one doing this? (One person I asked did a shoulder-shrug and said "they" do this all the time. It is called "Saturday Morning" cartoons), but I think he was joking)

If you have ever seen such animatics,or have a notion why this is not done commonly to woo investors or test audiences(as we did)or whatever , PLEASE, let me know.

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle Studios
Miracle

Postby Charles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:07 pm

Tom, you're on the homepage for this date.

http://www.animationnation.com

Dedicated article here.

As far as animatics go, I can't recall offhand seeing one complete in color as if it was a finished production. My feeling is that if you're going to make the effort to completely produce an animatic, why not go ahead and release it as a cartoon if it's animated enough. Simple, efficient animation as we'd see in a limited animation TV show might work. It's a method best utilized with a limited budget and a need to get content out the door. Personally, I'd go with it along with a good story if the situation warranted.

In any case, wishing you continued progress with your projects Tom.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Miracle » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Charles,
It is not so much that I would abandon the original idea of completing our full 2D feature,(that has been and still remains our end-goal) I am just hoping to maybe create something of a new form of limited animation entertainment (in doing a fully rendered/colored animatic)along the way.
When we were starting our first animatic, it occurred to me that if we polished the drawings so each appeared to be an actual frame from a finished movie, that if we had an excellent sound track, we might be able to preview this to audiences with little need to explain our production's lack of polish upfront.
The main deficiency in this type of animatic(?) is the lack of full body and mouth movements. What we found when we have previewed this "fully rendered" animatic in front of school groups is that after about a minute of viewing, the kids seem to get past the lack of total movement and seem be able to emerse themselves into the story and characters. This is suggested by the fact that we have often received spontaneous laughs and applause which seem to indicate the format is enjoyable to some extent.
The other advantage is that we are able to really convey to our future animation artists a very precise idea of what the finished product must look like.Sort of like doing keys for story beats that include the visuals/backgounds.
Again, what started this whole new thread direction is that I was wondering if anyone else has either done an animatic this way or if anyone has seen any finshed productions that are done using(essentially)what appears to be movie stills?

Blessings,
Tom Hignite
Miracle

Postby Charles » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:42 am

I can't think of an animatic that was produced in the way you describe, as an animatic. I can recall many times seeing animation that was very limited and could've been a borderline animatic by its very nature.

My suggestion, for whatever it's worth and as it applies to what you're goals are with your property, would be to get it out. Even if it's limited animation, or not as fully realized movement wise as you would like. In your description, you mention how kids react to the animation even when it's in an animatic form. Full movement is beautiful but oftentimes not necessary especially when it becomes a matter of whether or not the film gets done. It's the characters and the story that matter, along with good graphics, as you yourself experienced with the screenings of your project. Look at anime. It can be very limited, almost animatic, yet it works and audiences don't seem to mind.

If you've got the resources, personnel and time to do full animation, great. If not, do the best you can with what you've got.

Anyway, that's my take on it Tom. Whatever you have in mind as far as an animatic goes, if you animate the mouth and put in movement when necessary, you can continue to produce Miracle Mouse cartoons more efficiently and fully animate when the opportunity arises.

Daily Z

Charles

Return to General Discussion