If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney
Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter
Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery
I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn
When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones
And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus
A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney
What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi
Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones
Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb
Topics related to the business of animation.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1
Have we got a treat for you this month! Among our 7 HAND-PICKED PRESENTERS are some of the most interesting & relevant players in INDEPENDENT FILM FUNDING, bar none. And we are mixing the program up with several BLOODY MARVELOUS BRITS, courtesy of our thriving London chapter. They can help expand your reach across
the Big Pond.
Here is just part of what awaits you on Feb. 23 in Santa Monica, CA:
1. "YOUR INVESTMENT BANKER: Strategic Partner in Film Finance" -- by JIM MULLANY, Managing Director at investment bank & wealth management firm Salem Partners; provides advisory, valuation & M&A services for entertainment companies & library assets incl. Village Roadshow, Morgan Creek, Alcon, Hannover Leasing, City National Bank & Bank of America; expert witness in Stephen Bochco vs. 20th Century Fox litigation; fmr. Sr. VP at Houlihan Lokey, serving major studios & many indie film co's; fmr. CFO at Shelley Duvall's TV production co. Think Entertainment; fmr. VP at Wells Fargo, focusing on single-picture financing & corp. credit facilities for film/TV; fmr. VP at Union Bank; fmr. Account Officer at Citibank; etc.
2. "MORE THAN PRETTY PICTURES: Filmmaking, the Art Form of the Entrepreneur" -- by ARVIND ETHAN DAVID, financier, producer & marketeer of feature films; CEO at Slingshot Studios, co-founded w/ Arts Alliance CEO & venture capitalist Thomas Hoegh; raised substantial venture, angel & strategic money for Slingshot & film funds; produced & co-financed indie hit "Infidel," "Tormented" (Alex Pettyfer),
"Sugarhouse," "Faintheart" & "French Film"; has multi-picture deals w/ BBC, Pathe, Salt Company & Independent Film Sales; called "true entrepreneur" & one of "most innovative players" by Variety; splits his time between London & LA;
3. "FINANCING INDEPENDENT MOVIES for the Global Market" -- by DEIRDRE OWENS, VP of Finance at LA-based film finance & production company Grosvenor Park; involved in senior, gap, tax & equity financing for such independents as Oscar winner "Hurt Locker," Ed Zwick's "Defiance" & Terry Gilliam's "Imaginarium of
Dr. Parnassus"; previously worked w/ fmr. Paramount Chair Jon Dolgen at his boutique private equity firm Wood River Ventures; fmr. Equity Research Associate at global investment bank RBC Capital Markets; fmr. Investment Banking Analyst at Boston-based regional i-bank Tucker Anthony Sutro; MBA from UCLA & AB from Harvard; etc.
4. "RAISE YOUR GAME: Perfecting Your Pitch to Investors" -- by ED BLUM, BAFTA-nominated drama director & critically-acclaimed doc filmmaker;
Writer/Director/Producer at London-based Tin Pan Films; produced & directed "Scenes of a Sexual Nature" (Tom Hardy, Ewan McGregor, Mark Strong), nominated for British Independent Film Award, sold to 22 countries; made numerous docs for BBC & Channel 4, incl. "SAS: Are You Tough Enough?"; Director on ITV series "The Bill"; fmr. Deputy Editor of BBC News & Current Affairs Development; developed Big Pitch winner "Crimebusters," comedy "Laughter Clinic"; etc.
5. "TRANSMEDIA MONETIZATION: Film, Games & Everything in Between" -- by TOBY JORGENSEN, President & Chair at business-strategy think tank Federation X Holdings; works with major entertainment & media companies on new distribution, marketing & business models; President at hybrid physical/digital content
distributor Phone4Fun & website venture HitBrigade; 30+ years in advertising &
entertainment; fmr. CEO at game developer Malamute/Moloto ("Zelenhgorm"); fmr. award-winning illustrator ("Lord of the Rings," "Star Trek," Disney); etc.
6. "KEY TO SUCCESS: How Line Production Impacts Your Project's Funding & Finances" -- by JOHN CORSER, award-winning producer & director of feature films, TV productions, commercials & music videos; Founder & Publisher at FilmUtah Magazine; CEO & Exec. Producer at Corser, Inc.; expert in int'l, digital & 3D production w/ extensive experience managing large & small budgets, from $150M+ movie to $10K video; producing credits include "G.I. Joe" (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), "LOL" (Demi Moore), "Echelon Conspiracy" (Ed Burns), "Biker Boyz" (Laurence Fishburne), "EDtv" (Matt McConaughey), "You," "Devil's Highway," "Taken by Force," "Japan" (Peter Fonda) & TV's "Verses & Flow"; won Oscar nomination, Emmy, Gold Cindy, Gold Camera, Gold Quill, Silver Telly, Robinson Humanitarian Award; etc.
Stay tuned for 1 MORE PRESENTER, another big name... All event details, coordinates & TRULY AFFORDABLE tickets are available at -
It would be FANTASTIC if you could make it! This is as much about QUALITY NETWORKING as it is about hands-on education. We are dedicated to filling the room with ALL THE RIGHT PEOPLE, including you & associates.
Your Friends at IIFF Los Angeles Institute for International Film Financing
Join our mailing list at http://gla.filmfinancing.org/subscribe
Follow IIFF on Twitter at http://gla.filmfinancing.org/twitter
Exciting news. We have added 2 HEAVY HITTERS IN FILM FINANCE to our high-impact program. These 2 alone will MAKE A DIFFERENCE in your career, yet they are merely the tip of the iceberg...
Do join us on THURSDAY EVENING at Working Village in SANTA MONICA! It doesn't get a whole lot better than this:
1. "BUILDING STRATEGIC PARTNERSHIPS for Your Production Company" -- by JEANETTE BUERLING, Prez & CEO at film finance & production company Magnet Media Group incl. new European division w/ €150M projected investment volume; focuses on features w/ budgets < $40M; 20+ years experience w/ gap, mezzanine, tax credit, co-production, licensing & equity finance; involved in 45+ film/TV projects worth $200M+ in total production spend; recently financed & produced "13"(Statham, Rourke); "Experiment" (Brody, Whitaker) & "Dark Tide" (Berry, Martinez); previously ran equity film funds Hollywood Int'l Finance & Camden Worldwide Equities for Far East Nat'l Bank in LA, invested in 38 titles for
HBO, Showtime, ABC, USA, Disney, Lionsgate & others, incl. "Harvard Man" (Gellar, Grenier), "Rent Control" (Electra, Hart) & "Case of Evil" (Anwar, D'Onofrio); etc.
2. "MAXIMIZING TAX CREDITS: Get the Most for Any Movie" -- by SHAWN GILLESPIE, Director of Production Incentive Administration & Finance at Entertainment Partners, provides consulting & administrative services for tax incentives for film, TV & commercials; has 17 years of production accounting experience; worked for 20th Century Fox ("Titanic"), Universal ("Evan Almighty," "Leatherheads"), DreamWorks ("Collateral," "Eagle Eye"), Sony ("Fun w/ Dick &
Jane," "Talladega Nights"), Disney ("Sweet Home Alabama"), MGM ("Out of Time"), Miramax ("Havana Nights") & ABC ("Army Wives"); fmr. Manager of Production Finance at HBO, supervised production accounting on "Sopranos," "6 Feet Under," "Arli$$," "61*," "Dinner w/ Friends," "Shot in the Heart" & "Laramie Project"; etc.
3. "RAISE YOUR GAME: Perfecting Your Pitch to Investors" -- by ED BLUM, BAFTA-nominated drama director & critically-acclaimed doc filmmaker; produced & directed "Scenes of a Sexual Nature" (Hardy, McGregor), sold to 22 countries; made numerous docs for BBC & Channel 4; fmr. Deputy Editor of BBC News & Current Affairs Development; etc.
4. "FINANCING INDEPENDENT MOVIES for the Global Market" -- by DEIRDRE OWENS, VP of Finance at film finance & production company Grosvenor Park; involved in senior, gap, tax & equity financing for "Hurt Locker," "Defiance," "Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus" & others; worked w/ fmr. Paramount Chair Dolgen at Wood River Ventures; etc.
5. "TRANSMEDIA MONETIZATION: Film, Games & Everything in Between" -- by TOBY JORGENSEN, Prez & Chair at Federation X Holdings; works w/ major media companies on new distribution, marketing & business models; 30+ years in advertising & entertainment; fmr. CEO at game developer Malamute; etc.
6. "MORE THAN PRETTY PICTURES: Filmmaking, the Art Form of the Entrepreneur" -- by ARVIND ETHAN DAVID, financier, producer & marketeer of feature films; CEO at Slingshot Studios, co-founded w/ venture capitalist Thomas Hoegh; produced & co-financed "Infidel," "Tormented," "Sugarhouse," "Faintheart" & "French Film"; etc.
7. "YOUR INVESTMENT BANKER: Strategic Partner in Film Finance" -- by JIM MULLANY, Managing Dir. at investment bank Salem Partners; provides advisory, valuation & M&A services for Alcon, Morgan Creek, Village Roadshow, City Nat'l Bank, Bank of America, others; fmr. Sr. VP at Houlihan Lokey; fmr. CFO at Think Ent.; fmr. VP at Wells Fargo; etc.
If you haven't yet, take a moment now to review all event details at http://gla.filmfinancing.org/022312r & grab a pair of HIGHLY AFFORDABLE TICKETS while they last! An unparalleled evening of quality networking & hands-on education awaits you.
Your Friends at IIFF
P.S.: Want more? Our BAY AREA
[http://sfb.filmfinancing.org/022312n] & LONDON
[http://lon.filmfinancing.org/022912n] events are also coming up.
2 posts • Page 1 of 1