animationnation mission statementunited we brandanimationnation facebook
  • If you can dream it, you can do it. -Walt Disney

• Quality is a great business plan. -John Lasseter

• Let's make some funny pictures. -Tex Avery

• I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend. -Howard Zinn

• When critics sit in judgment it is hard to tell where justice leaves off and vengeance begins. -Chuck Jones

• And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? -Jesus

• A man should never neglect his family for business. -Walt Disney

• What's most important in animation is the emotions and the ideas being portrayed. -Ralph Bakshi

• Once you have heard a strange audience burst into laughter at a film you directed, you realize what the word joy is all about. -Chuck Jones

• Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water. -Buddhist Proverb

The PIXAR Story

Share your views on the state of the Animation Industry.

The PIXAR Story

Postby Greg B » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:54 pm

Finally had the chance to watch this documentary.

Brought back many memories of the good ol' days in computing. Wish I had known about Cal Arts back in the day. To see the faces to the names in the credits of the movies and now how PIXAR got its start, challenges, and successes is amazing.
Greg B

Re: The PIXAR Story

Postby Charles » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:57 pm

I started watching it. Here's the full documentary...

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Charles » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:21 am

Man, that was a terrific documentary. Accurate, informative, all the players involved, and above all incredibly inspiring. Thanks for bringing this up as a topic Greg. Really enjoyed viewing it.

Highly recommend watching the video folks. Take the time to see it.

Daily Z

Charles

Postby Greg B » Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:44 am

You're welcome Charles.

I remember the old days of computing as IBM's main plant is in my hometown. We had some very advanced computer geniuses like on every block.

I followed it well up until the mid to late 80s as I was one of the first editorial cartoonists to get the newest Apple systems and first IBM PCs. I saw the writing on the wall then that it would take at least 10 more years for the computers to get up to where I wanted them to be. The advances have been astounding and there's more to come.

The debate going on is that CG has killed 2D. I still don't buy that. It's 'investor speak' as I call it. Investors are interested in ROI and once a company goes public or relies on investors they give up too much responsibility for quality and integrity which inevitably leads to crappy products, decaying infrastructures that look good on paper but are like termite infested homes. It's not a matter of 'if', it's a matter of 'when' the house of cards will collapse.

I remember the old days when CG companies like Pixar were looking for investment capital. We entrepreneurs were hoping computers would cut the cost of overhead which is why we pushed for it. You've heard me discuss this time and again on your forum. The opposite happened, however, a CG flick is far more likely to get greenlighted even though history shows just because it's CG doesn't mean it will be a mega hit.

Story and characterization are still the rule of thumb here and as long as investors and suits don't friggin' get that axiom they'll continue to lose money.

I love it when I'm right.
Greg B

Postby JK Riki » Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:04 am

Does it follow the book? I read the book by the same name.
Animator Island: A resource for animators featuring weekly tips, tricks, and secrets of animation
JK Riki

Return to General Discussion